Mac User Account for Active Directory Logon Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kelmon, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Hi Guys,

I've been using my PowerBook and MacBook Pro laptops at work for about the last 5-years without issue but now our IT group wants get my laptop linked to the local Active Directory and I'm way out of my depth on this one. I found a useful looking article on the Big Nerd Ranch that seems to address most of the process but I have a couple of questions about how User Accounts on my laptop should be setup:

1. Given that the Active Directory username appears to be in the format Domain\Username (e.g. myDomain\myUserID), do I need a User Account to be created on the Mac with the same shortname (e.g. myDomain\myUserID)?
    2. Will I still be able to log onto my computer when not connected to the LAN with the Active Directory using a different User Account (e.g. a Home account) or even the one used with the Active Directory?
    3. When I need to change my password (I'm not sure if it is the Active Directory or LDAP server that requires this), will I be able to do this on the Mac (as I can with a Windows PC via the Change Password option displayed after pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and will it change the password for both the network and local User Account?

These are probably simple questions but the IT group is turning up on Wednesday next week to do the job, they have little or no knowledge about Macs, and I'd like to avoid trouble. If anyone can answer these questions, or direct me to other resources that can ensure the setup process is as simple as possible then that would be great.

2. Kelmon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Bump!

Sorry, I'm sure that at least one person must use their Mac on an Active Directory so here's hoping that they can share their experiences.