Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hkriffraff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
This is my first year as a Mac user and I’m getting accustomed to having to look forward to big events hoping that something I want will be released. So far the year has been a disappointment… the iPod mini release was at first exciting, but as an “international” customer, it seems I’ll have to wait until the thing is outdated before I have any chance of getting one.

Then I was hoping for the new iPods, but nothing at WWDC. Does this mean that the earliest possible release will be the Paris expo? Another gripe is the unreasonable price of a .Mac subscription - which mostly includes features I have no use for, but now seems more and more necessary to get all the touted OS features.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
You can thank Hitachi for the lack of iPod Minis. They didn't forecast properly, so there aren't enough hard drives. Still, they approved an expansion--for December. I suppose if Apple is willing to go with 5 GB drives from Seagate, they could alleviate the problem but not totally eliminate it.

I'm not sure why Apple would introduce updated iPods at WWDC but there should be a revision within a couple of months.

As far as .Mac goes, I haven't seen much in it, so I haven't tried it. The virus protection may be necessary some day soon, but that's the only thing of value.

3-22

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2002
hkriffraff said:
This is my first year as a Mac user and I’m getting accustomed to having to look forward to big events hoping that something I want will be released. So far the year has been a disappointment… the iPod mini release was at first exciting, but as an “international” customer, it seems I’ll have to wait until the thing is outdated before I have any chance of getting one.

Then I was hoping for the new iPods, but nothing at WWDC. Does this mean that the earliest possible release will be the Paris expo? Another gripe is the unreasonable price of a .Mac subscription - which mostly includes features I have no use for, but now seems more and more necessary to get all the touted OS features.

I feel your pain... I'm coming up on a year with my new Mac and the novelty is starting to wear off. Now that most of the apps and hardware (iTunes, iPod, etc.) I like are Windows compatible it's not such a requirement to have Mac.

The announcements today were disappointing. Nothing in tiger seems all that revolutionary, and as a developer it was pretty weak for a developer conference announcement. They also appear to be getting higher and higher prices, perhaps targetting the professional market but that eliminates me.

Oh well, maybe I'm just going through the 1 year "itch"...

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....it is a *developer* conference - not the place for them to introduce their *consumer* line of products. More new stuff is surely coming...remember - they do not just use these shows for product introductions, they also have their own press events whenever they want. The iPod was originally intoducted at a special Apple Event remember.....oh yeah!

hkriffraff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
WWDC may be a developer conference, but the Jobs Keynote was nevertheless a major PR event. So doesn’t it stand to reason that any major product launches wont’ happen in the reasonably near-future if they didn’t happen at WWDC?

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
3-22 said:
..Nothing in tiger seems all that revolutionary, and as a developer it was pretty weak for a developer conference announcement...

what, aren't you excited to get into some serious javascript and start developing some really neat "Widgets"? :rolleyes:

yeah Apple, way to get the developers all charged up!

stoid

macrumors 601
3-22 said:
...Nothing in tiger seems all that revolutionary, and as a developer it was pretty weak for a developer conference announcement...

Maybe nothing revolutionary for a developer, but that Apple is going to include meta-searching like Microsoft scratched from the 2006(7) release of Longhorn...

Apple is including a service that THE LARGEST software team on the planet could not write given even a year or two more time. That's pretty damn exciting at least.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
personally i didn't find the keynote to excited, but then i watched it. I was able to see spotlight, and the cores in action and i was quite impressed. i dont code so i dont know if thats not exciting or not though.

iJon

hkriffraff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
What exactly is .Mac Retail? It still seems on the pricey side! I think Apple should offer a stripped-down, low-cost service for people who don't want anything except the services needed to use OS X functionality (eg, iDisk, Backup).

With an estimated 25m Mac users worldwide and only 500,000 subscribing (many of these must be switchers trying it out), .Mac subscription is a large and pricey service bundle that makes the rest of us feel left out on our OS functionality.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
hkriffraff said:
What exactly is .Mac Retail?
as opposed to a downloaded or bundled version. Full retail price, not discounted or at an upgrade rate. And unless something super-duper is included in the next release, I won't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.