Mac User: iPad or Windows PC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SB-MBP, Jan 8, 2017.

1. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

Hello, I have a 2014 bought June 2012 model MacBook Pro 13" A1278 Unibody.

I've put 8GB ram and a 1TB SSHD into it myself in 2014 and it's fast enough.

The battery is now in need of replacement, finding it hard to source a genuine Apple replacement battery to fit myself. The charger is hanging apart too, I've also discovered eBay can't offer a sealed, new genuine charger either as they're all refurbished / melting / blow-up copycats. So there's £80 for a new one. My 'D' key is falling off every two hits, and two other keys are following suite. I could replace this myself should I be able to find a cheap enough unit and I don't believe there's cheaply made keyboard out there. It's got a few chips in the aluminium and is showing black spots in some areas, wear and tear from use but that doesn't keep me up at night!

A lot of money to spend on it!

All I use it for is keeping my photos organised and downloaded LOCALLY to the HDD. Playing a bit of Minecraft though my Mac definitely can't hack the pace as much as it used to be able to! And as I'm a university student, Microsoft Office applications. I also have a large filesystem on my iCloud drive of old files from when I used SketchUp, things I found online I like to have a copy of and purchased software backups. I use iCloud services a lot, but on my Mac with it's 1TB drive I can keep it all locally downloaded. I'm actually using about 320GB of the drive now.

I'm unsure whether to sell it and get myself an iPad to use for the remainder of university. I study finance so I won't be needing any specific multimedia / design software other than Microsoft Office, note taking and the likes. Though an iPad won't quite do Minecraft the same way or SketchUp (though I don't see these as deal breakers. I haven't used SketchUp in years, it was always a hobby as such).

The other option is, for now, go to the bottom end (<£500) of HP's product line on an i3 processor - it won't move the world - but it'd technically speaking do what I need it to do for the remainder of university. As an Apple fan, I'd miss the light up keys, rock solid build quality and rich, non washed out screen. But as mentioned, in a few years when I had more money it'd be a shiny new Mac.

Right now, those are the choices. Debt isn't an option as if you can't afford it cash, I don't consider myself able to buy it.

What are your recommendations and why?
    What is my MB Pro worth with the problems I mentioned?

2. deany, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017

deany macrumors 68030

deany

Hi
    This lengthy thread may help

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/anyone-using-ipad-pro-as-main-device.2007716/

If you do decide on an iPad Pro John Lewis are due a 3 year FREE warranty cover soon on iPads
    Plus you'll get 90 days to decide with their 'No Quibble' returns.

JLP , Greyhound Ind Park, Chester is 20 mins from me approx 30 to 40 from Runcorn
    edit
    Warrington nearer, the Chester store is new and a pleasure to shop in, apple dept and computers etc on 1st floor, excellent free parking.
    Cheers

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

4. SB-MBP thread starter Suspended

SB-MBP

And you don't think it'd be much of an inconvenience having no proper Mac or PC in 2017 with the latest iOS?

Not sure whether to get the Pro or Air 2. Air 2 fits into my budget better! 128GB minimum

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

What do you need that an iPad can't do?

I'd also keep your macbook and fix it for cheap.
    You only bought it two years ago ...

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think it will be a learning curve, you may not have the same apps that you had on your Mac or they're going to be less powerful then those on the mac. I'm not saying you shouldn't get one, but it will be an adjustment to be sure.

I'd opt for the Pro because its more powerful, you can use a stylus with it, and has a better processor.

7. mk313 macrumors 6502

Overall, an iPad will probably be fine for what you are looking to do, but if you know anyone with one, you may want to play around with Excel/ Word on it before you sell your computer. I used my iPad as my primary computer for my MBA (I did have a Mac at home that I used when I needed to). The iPad worked fine for the most part, but I found Excel in particular to be much harder to use. Word was ok, but there are some features (like creating a table of contents) that the iPad version can't do (not a huge deal if you save the file to dropbox, then open it up on a school or home computer & do it there). Being in finance, I'd imagine that you would use Excel quite a bit & that's the one program that I found to be more work using on the iPad than on a computer. If you're fine with it, then I think you'd be ok with an iPad for everything else.

8. dwig macrumors 6502

An iPad along may prove too limiting. My vote is to either:
    1: Pony up $100 or so for a new AC supply and an external keyboard for you existing computer so it can function as a desktop computer and add an iPad to your kit for portable use.
    or
    2: by a good solid Windows notebook (I like Dell's offerings), preferably a 2-in-1 design so you can go "tablet mode" in class where desk space is limited and "notebook" mode when space is available.

9. SB-MBP thread starter Suspended

SB-MBP

Well guys, an update to the situation:

Keyboard I ordered a supposedly new MBP keyboard on eBay, only to find it's not bloody new. I could see glue marks from the past application.... And put it in myself. All good, but the space key can't keep up during fast typing and the R key is jammed already!!! I'm not even sure it's an Apple part.. I'vemessaed < that's what it's doing. I've messaged the seller to say basically I doubt this is an Apple part, it certainly isn't new and I'd like a refund. Anybody know Apples cost for repair and if they sell parts without fitting them?

Charger Decided to try and fix mine by buying heat shrink. The stuff I got fits okay but cannot be applied as the head of the MagSafe is too thick. Might get some larger diameter stuff and I'm hoping it will belike new. For now, I have recovered the whole thing in new electrical tape.

Battery Can't find any actual new or genuine Apple ones on eBay or online at all.. beginning to doubt if a decent quality alternative exists anywhere exceptforthe Apple Store. Sorry forthetyping, again this keyboards bloody worse than the original one with the D key problem.

What should I do? Continue fixing this or make a move!
    Alotofyou are saying iPad which I'm surprised with but at the same time I appreciate your input. DoesExcel work with the same leveloffunctionality as the desktop

FFS THIS KEYBOARD ARGHH. 2 BLOODY HOURSPUTTING IT IN AND ITS WORSE!!! TIMe TO LEAVE SOME NEGATIVE FEEDBACK

10. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Go browse the iPad forums and you will see that iPad works for many people while doing working including Excel. The major difference is, you will be touching the screen vs using a mouse. If that doesn't sound like an issue to you, then the iPad will suite your needs just fine.

11. mk313 macrumors 6502

I haven't purchased one for quite some time, and I'm not even sure if they sell batteries for your particular mac, but I always had good luck with NewerTech replacement MacBook/ PowerBook batteries.

As far as Excel goes, it does not have the same functionality as the desktop version. It does most of what the Mac/ Windows versions do, but not everything. If you go that route, I'd definitely recommend borrowing a friend's and playing around with it. It works fine, but it is a little more challenging to use than a desktop version in my opinion.

12. svendobbelaere macrumors member

What I honestly would do in your case: try to find a great deal on a microsoft M3 128 GB Surface Pro 4 with the type cover included. It will scratch the new PC itch, it will scratch the tablet itch, it will run windows and office for your college courses, the M3 model is fanless like the iPad. This should fit your budget. And it takes micro sd cards to upgrade the storage later.

Keep your mac laptop around as-is as a backup (I'd honestly just part with it but keep the SSHD).

It's not as good as your laptop, it's not as good as an iPad, but in this case with the budget it and the requirements it would be what I would look into. Just my 2 cents.

Alternatively find a refurb of your current computer and put the SSHD in the refurb.

13. Dsching Suspended

Dsching

14. SB-MBP thread starter Suspended

SB-MBP

Well guys I've looked and the maximum money here is like £450 so as much as I'd love an iPad Pro with that slick cover it won't happen. Not now.

The Surface is also quite expensive, slightly out of reach. Unless I buy one used with a 12 month warranty and eventually buy a keyboard cover.

The other option is the Samsung Galaxy TabS which is for sale at a local store for £495 with its keyboard cover thing.

I've looked at Windows laptops at large, even saw some in person for about £700-£1200 and f*ck me, they have learned NOTHING from the Apple unibody, trackpad or displays .. theyre just as terrible as when I left them for my first Mac in 2009. I don't think I could adapt to the mouse pads or washed out displays on anything below £500 :-/

You can't even get a great MacBook for £1000 these days, let alone half of that. Not sure I like Tim Cooks Apple, but that's one for another thread!

I really want to keep my Mac but can't seem to find a good;-
    genuine, keyboard
    genuine, charger at a reasonable cost
    genuine battery, at ANY cost!?

With those things, I'm sure this old Pro A1278 could last a lifetime. They are truly sturdy machines. I'm just typing too hard and too much on mines, nothing a new keyboard couldn't fix.

15. cebritt macrumors member

16. svendobbelaere macrumors member

Hm, you're right that prices have been going upwards (in continental europe as well, I feel your pain).

I found a return version of your current laptop:

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/bct/laptops-and-netbooks/apple-laptops?sortOrder=1

but it's like 780 GBP :(

Even reusing the SSD and RAM you have now, and parting out your current machine, I doubt you'd make back the 330 GBP difference.

Maybe try this one, it does have some under 500 GBP:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MacBankHom...6882&_sop=2&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=2

Or here: http://www.mapleuk.co.uk/macbook-pro-18-c.asp

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think for many people you can make a case that the iPad can replace the laptop and I think that's where Apple is heading. I think they see the tablet, touch first device replacing the laptop. This may be one reason why we see more changes in the iPad (hardware and software) then the MBP.

18. Frisco macrumors 68020

If your in finance you'll definitely want a Windows version of Excel. Excel on Windows is an industry standard. Trust me.