Mac Users: How Much Do You Use Google?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HappyDude20, Jul 15, 2008.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I gotta say, when I first got my Macbook I set up everything concerning my life with Apple's Apps but then realized I since I wasn't in front of my Mac all the time and around PC's as well, I would need some other foundation to support all my info and be accessible at all times.

I love Apple and my Mac, don't get me wrong; I'd never go back to a PC again. But I do find myself around PC's still, especially at my college so I began using Google for just about everything and am quite curious as to other Mac users and their Google habits.

These are the Google online apps I use on a daily basis on both my Mac & PC's when I'm away from my Mac:

1. Mail: All mail, even set up to send me cell phone text messages when I have incoming mail.

2. Calendar: So I don't forget anything coming up, plus have this set up for text reminders too.

3. Notebook: Various links/info on different subject from school essays, to personal best local restaurants.

4. Docs: Hosts all my school work, plus PDF book files from my Mac so I can read them anywhere such as school if I'm killing time.

5. Maps: Obvious.

6. Reader: I began using reader to reduce my online time surfing different sites and this works wonderfully when I only have 5 minutes to be online before my next class.

7. Blogger: I consider it like my online diary kinda thing; only I see it and write to it. I have a dashboard widget to type from there, from my iGoogle, or cell phone.

8. Groups: I think Yahoo Answers is better but Yahoo mail doesn't forward to Gmail so I use this sparingly.

9. Bookmarks: Love it, to access them from anywhere.

10 iGoogle: This is my home page and have it set up with all of what I mentioned so I can quickly gaze at them and access anything fast.

Sounds like I'm addicted to Google here doesn't it? I'm just wondering if i'm alone in this boat or if there are others.

2. djwobble macrumors regular

Do you realize how much Google knows about you at this point??

Wow. I'm worried for you, friend,

3. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Where's Google Earth? My favorite Google app.

4. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I don't trust Google's Health one... that's just creepy.

But you know...

And as for Google Earth. I have it on my Dock but don't use it much. I feel Maps is much easier. But def. fun to use.

P.S. You know how on Maps you can save the map and get an embed code to insert on your website? Can you do that too on Google Earth? Specifically can you do it with Google Sky? That would be so great if I could for this Astronomy project I'm working on.

5. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I only use Google Earth Google search(duh) and GMail.

For anything other, I use Apple Mail and iCal. I love those apps.

6. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I use both Gmail and the Google Search Bar in Safari daily

7. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

• Google Search - Always
    • GMail - Always
    • Google Calendar - Always (though I'm not a heavy calendar user anyway)
    • Google Maps - Always
    • Google Docs - A little

9. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

Google Search = homepage

Gmail = use it everyday

Google Maps = once or twice a week

Google Earth = used it once, and ended up using the flight simulator to crash into my old house. I lol'd.

m.google.com = on my psp

Google Photos a.k.a. Picasa = Upload all my photos via iPhoto

Google Images = quick free fap fap fap material.

I figure, I have nothing to hide, so I don't care if some corporation can see what I take photos of or who I talk to.

OH NOES!! GOOGLE KNOWS I TOOK A PICTURE OF A GIRAFFE AT THE ZOO AND SENT IT TO MY BUDDY ANDREW!!

I switched from hotmail to gmail. The way I see it, I just switched from one evil corporation to another.

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

11. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

I admit, I am a google addict. Gmail, Blogger and YouTube. Blogger is simply the best blogging facility on the internet, Gmail - the best free email service and can be accessed via pop. YouTube - no explaination required :p

12. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

I just tend to use search and maybe youtube every so often. Apple programs fit the gaps better for me and I almost never have to see a PC, my house and my department at work are all mac! :D

13. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

14. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Google search for homepage.

Gmail for access anywhere, but thru Mail on my MBP.

Google Earth for Fun.

Google Analytics and Adsense @ work for web stats and ads.

Tried Googlepages, but my idea sucked.:)

GOOG-411 on rare occasions.

So yeah, I like and use Google. A lot.

15. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Search via Scroogle.

Google Earth perhaps once a month.

YouTube three or four times a week.

16. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Trying to get rid of GMail - still getting some mail in there, though
    ixquick.com for searching
    YouTube few times a week

17. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

I wonder if their bound by the same HIPPA regulations as other custodians of health care records are? :confused:

I wouldn't upload my medical records to google, sorry, no thx.

18. operator207 macrumors 6502

I would have to say they are, or should be. Anything to do with medical records tends to be attached to HIPAA Regs.

https://www.google.com/health/html/privacy.html mentions HIPAA, but for "third-party websites" not Google itself. Though they would only need to be secure, and if they share your data with others, would need to provide a way to share and unshare the data at your discretion. It appears they provide that. I am imagining that they are trying to provide a secure clearing house for your Health Data. I know most of HIPAA's Regs, though I am not an expert. I would imagine you would need someone who practices law mainly in the HIPAA arena to answer that question. I also imagine that if they did not comply with everything they need to comply with, they would have shut it down.

As for what I personally use with Google, Search and maps. Thats about it. I have a gmail account, but use it to store mailing lists that are not archived, or are archived, but have poor or no search function of their archives. Works great! But I rarely use it.

19. Xavier macrumors 68020

Gmail i use for Junk email account. And I use google maps on my touch. Thats about all the google I use. (oh and i only check my gmail about once every other month)

20. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Google will one day own the internet... I have Google Earth and Google Notifier installed, and I have 2 Google Mail accounts!

I also use it for ALL my searches.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Google Search and Google Earth get lots of use from me. Everything else not so much. No need for Gmail, no need for any of their other services.

22. qacjared macrumors regular

Blog Search
    Earth
    Finance
    Images
    Maps
    News
    Product Search
    Google Video Search
    Web Search
    Blogger
    Calendar
    Docs
    Gmail
    Orkut
    Reader
    Translate
    YouTube
    Earth

23. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Use Google a lot! Maps, Gmail, Search....it is integral to the web experience.