Mac utility apps really needed?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GNice, Aug 20, 2007.

1. GNice macrumors 6502

Mac newbie here...bought my first mac a couple weeks ago...so far I love it. Amway, I stopped by the Apple store to browse the software and noticed a couple of "utility programs"...Disk Genius and TechTool Pro.

Seem like the Windows equivalent of Norton Utilities.

Just curious...do most of of you mac veterans use these tools or don't find them as needed in the mac world. If you do any recommendations/comments on the 2 packages mentioned above.

Any thoughts/input greatly appreciated.

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Don't use them and never heard of them, but I've been using OSX for about a month now. My favorites are Witch and InsomniaX so far though.

3. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

I don't use the more heavy duty apps to keep my HDD in order but I do use the maintenance and cleaning stuff in Onyx. It's a nice interface for all the commands you'd otherwise have to plug into the Terminal.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

As an IT Professional who specializes in Macs, I would say that one or the other is a must.
    Personally I use DiskWarrior, but have nothing against TTP.
    I'd rather pay for them and never need them, then have something catastrophic happen and not have em.

I don't know anything about DiskGenius.

5. GNice thread starter macrumors 6502

Thx for the feedback...it's greatly appreciated. I just stumbled across the website below. Lots of stuff...too bad no user ratings...or I can't find the link.

http://www.freemacware.com

Thx again!

6. phytonix macrumors 6502

7. ibook4a macrumors member

I personally use macjanitor, it works a treat for maintenance and its freeware

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I find that happens at the most inopportune time.
    Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

I feel it should be noted, Onyx and MacJanitor are in NO WAY comparable to DiskWarrior and TechToolPro, simply because they do completely different things.

9. smurfy macrumors member

I just run OnyX whenever I remember to and my April '06 iMac is still running great.