Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

main_image-0d178cf9d5fedfc60ed0f56901319bbf-500x352.png
Just ahead of Black Friday 2012, StackSocial has launched their Mac Utility Bundle which includes 5 Mac Apps for $59.99. The total retail value for the included apps are $245. The apps include

- Parallels Desktop 8 ($80) - Run Windows on your Mac
- Snagit ($50) - Record screen videos
- VirusBarrier X6 ($50) - Virus protection
- MacOptimizer ($29) - Disk utility
- Rubbernet ($36) - Monitor network-enabled apps

The $59.99 price represents a discount on full price of Parallels Desktop 8, but also includes these other apps. Meanwhile, Parallels seems to be offering their own discount to the same $59.99 but on their one app alone.

MacRumors is an affiliate partner of StackSocial.

Article Link: Mac Utility Bundle: Parallels 8, Snagit, Rubbernet, VirusBarrier, MacOptimizer for $59.99

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I've used Snagit on work PCs for years. It's a really incredible program. I might have to shoot for this deal. Parallels and Snagit make it worth it :)

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
too bad I can upgrade to Parallels 8, the only app I'd want, for much cheaper.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
I'm in the market for Parallels, so I'm taking the plunge. The other software, not so much.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Parallels---------Virtual Box
Snagit------------Built in with QT or an app like Jing
VirusBarrier-----ClamXav
MacOptimizer----Onyx
Rubbernet--------PrivateEye

Not sure why one would pay for these when the ones I listed are FREE alternatives

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
VirusBarrier-----ClamXav
MacOptimizer----Onyx

Not sure why one would pay for these when the ones I listed are FREE alternatives

Parallels is much more optimized than Virtualbox is. I've noticed it run much faster for memory intensive programs. It also has quite a few integration features.

And Snagit has so many options it borders on stupid. Built in editing, conversion, and a ton of capture options.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada

Parallels has a much better graphics support; some apps don't work in Virtual Box (i.e. My CCTV DVR software). Parallels is also faster.

VirtualBox can probably work for the majority of people, but unfortunately I must use Parallels :(

msandersen

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Sydney, Australia
VirusBarrier-----ClamXav
MacOptimizer----Onyx

1. As people mentioned, Virtual Box is not a match for Parallels.
2. I'm not interested in AV, though I have the free Sophos AV for on-demand scanning of downloaded or suspect files, I don't care of always-on scanning if I can help it like we need for our PCs; it may yet come to that in the future, but we're not there yet thankfully.
But seriously, ClamXav? It's the worst of the lot, sadly. You can argue it is worse than no AV, since it gives you a false sense of security, esp on the Mac, as it doesn't really do Mac viruses. I deliberately downloaded a copy of the iWork trojan to test against when it came out, which is a long time ago now, and to this day Clam fails to detect it. All other AVs I've tested, inc on the PC, detect it.

dweezle3

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Earth
$60 for Parallels and Snagit? Works for me! Those are the only two really worth paying for anyways...

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
Parallels 8> Don't touch it

I bought Parallels yesterday from Newegg. It came on a thumb drive WITHOUT AN ACTIVATION CODE. I called Parallels emailed them my receipt and it wasn't good enough. It took me fifty minutes on the phone to get
an activation code.
I installed it and am trying to install WIN 7 from a disk image as I bought it on line. This is said to be okay and its been 75 minutes and it is still trying to install. Something is wrong but after 25 minutes on hold they say give me your telephone and we will call U back.
This company disrespects it customers and the software has not improved since Parallels 4 years ago.
I would avoid this product like the plague.:mad:

Attachments

• Parallels 7010.jpg
    Parallels 7010.jpg
    830.8 KB · Views: 197

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I bought Parallels yesterday from Newegg. It came on a thumb drive WITHOUT AN ACTIVATION CODE. I called Parallels emailed them my receipt and it wasn't good enough. It took me fifty minutes on the phone to get
an activation code.
I installed it and am trying to install WIN 7 from a disk image as I bought it on line. This is said to be okay and its been 75 minutes and it is still trying to install. Something is wrong but after 25 minutes on hold they say give me your telephone and we will call U back.
This company disrespects it customers and the software has not improved since Parallels 4 years ago.

You bought Parallels 7 yesterday with one day shipping from Newegg? 8 has been out for a few months...

SteelWheel

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2008
I'm reasonably certain that "palmharbor" is using Parallels 7 as well; Parallels 8 has "built-in" (= certified to be legit downloads) guest OSes. I was just looking at a review of this in one of the Mac magazines the other day. IIRC, a user can easily get a copy of Windows 7 or 8, the "off-the-shelf" version of the latest Ubuntu distro, Chrome OS (although: Why?), Android, or Mountain Lion from your recovery partition, as a part of the process of installing Parallels itself. Why bother installing a separately purchased version of Windows? All you really need is the license key. It's been a while since I've installed Windows on a machine, but in general, you just enter the license key at the prompt. I'm not even sure why Parallels customer support is supposed to be your first resort on a problem installing Windows. If I had that problem, I'd be calling Redmond, I think..

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
You bought Parallels 7 yesterday with one day shipping from Newegg? 8 has been out for a few months...

The Parallels 7 updated on my mac to Parallels 8 after I installed it on my new MacMini. What are you trying to say? Look, if you want to buy it and struggle with it..go right ahead.

----------

I'm reasonably certain that "palmharbor" is using Parallels 7 as well; Parallels 8 has "built-in" (= certified to be legit downloads) guest OSes. I was just looking at a review of this in one of the Mac magazines the other day. IIRC, a user can easily get a copy of Windows 7 or 8, the "off-the-shelf" version of the latest Ubuntu distro, Chrome OS (although: Why?), Android, or Mountain Lion from your recovery partition, as a part of the process of installing Parallels itself. Why bother installing a separately purchased version of Windows? All you really need is the license key. It's been a while since I've installed Windows on a machine, but in general, you just enter the license key at the prompt. I'm not even sure why Parallels customer support is supposed to be your first resort on a problem installing Windows. If I had that problem, I'd be calling Redmond, I think..

When U install Parallels 7, it updates after installation to Parallels 8. Keep in mind with out a Windows OS...XP, 7 Disk etc,
it is useless. I downloaded WIN 7 as a disk image and it would not install after 85 minutes, called TechSupport for Parallels and they had NO answer but said, quit and install a preview of WIN 8. I.E. on Win 8 had no way to save a favorite. I will buy a second copy of WIN 7 on a disk. I just think it should have been included.
Only reason I got Parallels is to use Internet Explorer as some job application
websites such as TALEO et al are for I.E. and Firefox,Safari,Chrome, Camino do not
work the same and makes it impossible to apply for some jobs, especially the Federal
govt. website. As much as Mac users dislike it, its a Windows World...I.E. has certain parts of it that Apple has no access to or others.,,I have filled out extensive applications only to get to the end to see the "submit" button missing...On. I.E. that is not the case.

Last edited:

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Oh, ok, so: Parallels 8 for $60. Not too bad.

an activation code.

Your activation problems are with Newegg, not Parallels -- think rationally for even one second and you can see that. Geeze, I'm not a big Parallels fan, but your criticism is wholly misdirected in this case. And, by the way, a disk image should work fine. But given your lack of critical thinking skills, I'd be willing to bet this is user error. God only know who you "bought" that windows 7 disk image from. (I'm thinking from microsoft.com.ru).

pennant

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2012
Oh, ok, so: Parallels 8 for $60. Not too bad.

Your activation problems are with Newegg, not Parallels -- think rationally for even one second and you can see that. Geeze, I'm not a big Parallels fan, but your criticism is wholly misdirected in this case. And, by the way, a disk image should work fine. But given your lack of critical thinking skills, I'd be willing to bet this is user error. God only know who you "bought" that windows 7 disk image from. (I'm thinking from microsoft.com.ru).

I have also experienced promlems using Parallels 8, although I did manage to install Windows 7 without difficulty. But the main complaint is that some of the Windows based programmes do not function properly when running under Parallels. You would think that if you loaded the same Windows 7 software into Parallels as was installed in a PC, the Windows application programmes should behave the same way, but they simply do not!

I think the main problem is that the Mac system preferences kick-in and over-ride the system settings on Windows 7. I also found difficulty to access data files on the Mac while using Windows 7 under parallels and the only way to achieve proper functionality seemed to be to copy files from Finder folders to the Virtual C:/ drive under Parallels. But of course you then end up with two versions of the same file under different folders.

From now on if I want to use Windows programmes, I will do so on a PC and not try to have dual functionality on a Mac. It is a frustrating exercise trying to get the Mac to perform as a PC !!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
In your opinion, VirusBarrier X6 bundled within the package is not necessary, as there're no known viruses that attack Macs?
There is malware in the wild that can affect Macs, but it can all be avoided by practicing safe computing, as described in the link I posted earlier. No, 3rd party antivirus software is not required to keep your Mac safe from malware.
Also, is MacOptimizer really required as Macs itself are self-optimized?
You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some can even degrade, rather than improve system performance.

Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process. These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt. Caches exist to improve performance, so deleting them isn't advisable in most cases.

Many of the tasks performed by these apps should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.