Mac version of CPUz?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fifteen20s, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Fifteen20s macrumors regular

Is there a Mac equivalent of CPUz? Specifically I want to monitor my CPU speed, other system information is great too but CPU speed is my main interest.

Doesn't have to be free, Ill pay for a program if it is worth it

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There was an older thing called CPU-X. But it doesn't support CPUs made after 2007/2008 when it was last updated. I also recall it being hard to find and not overly accurate.

3. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

For why? What will you do with that information? Honestly curious.

You can't change the speed yourself, can you? AFAIK, the CPU is likely to manage its speeds "optimally", better than I could.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Turbo_Boost

5. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

If you mean an app made by netkas, it actually works with my W3520. Doesn't only show core voltage and CPU revision. Other info is correct.

6. Fifteen20s, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013

Fifteen20s thread starter macrumors regular

Because I am surprised at how well my new i5 MBA runs things, much better then I expected. I would like to see where it runs in its clock speed.

I'm not trying to diagnose any problems and I would not modify anything even if I could, these are just the things I become curious about.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Not that one. There was an older one that I used in 2007 on Intell Tiger. I recall that it didn't show anything on a 2011 Macbook Pro.

8. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

There is Intel Power Gadget if you just want CPU. It shows the power used, the current CPU clock in GHz, and the temperature. Its free and the only app that I know of to show CPU scaling.

Monty lives in the sidebar and shows system stats like network speed, fan speed, etc.

MenuMeters works well on 10.10 and below (no El Capitan).

9. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Intel PowerGadget does not appear to work on El Capitan, unless it's been updated since I installed the app a couple years ago.

10. chrfr macrumors 603

The latest Mac version is version 3.0.1, and it does work in El Capitan.

11. jeff7117 macrumors regular

I stat menus, or iPulse from iconfactory will monitor CPU usage and a host of other system info on your mac.