Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Venkman90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
I am starting up a new company, just me for the time being. I have a macbook but 90% of companys in the UK use Windows.

I was thinking of getting the mac version of office but have heard it is not always compatiable with windows version files, is that correct?

Also, does Entourage have the contact managment system that Outlook has?

Thanks

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Have you tried openoffice or neooffice (which is built from openoffice)?

They have all of the functionality of office but zero the cost.

Venkman90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009

No, seemed to good to be true, they have contact managment?

stuarthatto

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
I use Office2008 all the time and share my files with hundreds of Windows users with no issues around compatibility.

You will find it save files by default in its native XML format which can be read by Office2007 users. If you need ultimate compatibility save files in 97-2004 format and all will be well.

As for Entourage and contact management, well its years since I used Outlook, can you explain what you mean and we can try to compare Entourage.

Stu

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

Sometimes this is not always useful information especially when you're looking at compatibility. I would not recommend OO right out of the gate until you know if someone has used it enough. Office is the standard and if I ran a business it would be iWork or Office.

I use Office2008 all the time and share my files with hundreds of Windows users with no issues around compatibility.

You will find it save files by default in its native XML format which can be read by Office2007 users. If you need ultimate compatibility save files in 97-2004 format and all will be well.

As for Entourage and contact management, well its years since I used Outlook, can you explain what you mean and we can try to compare Entourage.

Stu
Yes Entourage has contact management in the sense that you can input contacts and such.
The rest of stuarthatto's post is completely accurate.

Venkman90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Ah right thanks

Yeah the CM system in Outlook is nothing fancy, just allows you to input contacts and notes etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.