Mac virgin...cold feet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dsr1205, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

i just bought the new MBP and i just relized i have no idea about how to maintain a mac....i have been using windows since the age of i think 6 or 7 and i have used macs before but not as my main pc. Is there system maintence that needs to bee done? emptying temp folders? or defraggin hd?

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

The defrag routine will happen on the fly with folders under 4GB.. cron scripts will run nightly and monthly..

Repair permissions monthly also ..

3. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

multiple threads on maintaining a mac. do a search.

in a nutshell, learn how to repair permissions, learn how to run maintenance routines, don't dump all your crap on the desktop, and enjoy.

Oh, you might also want to pickup diskwarrior at some point, just to have on hand. Applecare is also not a bad idea for peace of mind.

If these terms mean nothing to you, google them. You'll pick it up pretty fast. :)

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

If you like to keep your computer on all night, like me, then you pretty much don't have to worry about running maintenance scripts. They are usually done at night when the machine is idle.

Never really had to repair permissions unless I messed with a file.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

pretty much just let your Mac run its cron scripts overnight every now and again and repair permissions before and after a system update. this is more than enough. Mac OS X doesnt have a registry that bloats up after a few months and will run just as fast as when you first bought it if no problems arise.

i think in Leopard now runs the cron scripts after waking from sleep or starting up if it wasnt left on overnight. you can also use apps like Onyx or Cocktail which can run the scripts for you.

if your Mac starts slowing down run the automation feature in Onyx and restart a few times to clear and re-create the boot caches. you can also startup up in safe mode by holding shift on startup to clear the caches.