Mac virgin needs help with Parallels or Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lemondropchick, Feb 14, 2008.

1. lemondropchick macrumors newbie

I've been reading the forums here for a couple of months now trying to soak up as much information as I can, and I'm totally intimidated about posting here. :eek:

I'm really tired of having to run back to my windows laptop every time I need to use of the windows-based programs (a couple times a week), so I started looking into Parallels and Boot Camp, but I'm not sure which is best for me. I do have a copy of Windows XP that I could install. If I do that can I then install my old programs on the Windows side (Paintshop Pro, Publisher, my Dreamweaver that won't work because it's the older version that's not compatible with Leopard)? Are there other things I should be looking at or thinking about?

2. LionsKiss macrumors member

I have Leopard with windows xp install via BootCamp, and I run WindowsXP in MacOS with Vmware Fusion.

I tested Parallel and VMware fusion and found VMWare fusion to work faster for me.

3. lemondropchick thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so the Vmware Fusion works like the other two. Am I understanding that correctly? I really feel like an old dog learning new tricks, and I'm not that old.

4. siorai macrumors 6502

Parallels and Fusion are both for running Windows within the OSX environment. So you would be in OSX and have a Parallels or fusion window that is running Windows inside of it. Boot Camp on the other hand enables you to boot your computer completely into Windows, no OSX at all.

5. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Bootcamp allows you to boot your computer into either Windows or OS X. While you're booted into Windows, your computer will function just like every other Windows machine. When you're done, restart you're computer and boot back into OS X. This is the fastest option for running Windows, because you're doing it natively, but also slightly inconvenient as you have to restart each time. It's the only real option if you're into gaming in a Windows environment, though, but that doesn't seem to be your issue. The other major benefit is that it's free.

Parallels and VMWare Fusion allow you to run Windows as a virtual machine inside your OS X environment--that is, Windows will run in a window in OS X like any other program, and you can minimize or hide it whenever you want and use other OS X programs at the same time. This is more convenient since you don't have to restart, but also requires a little more RAM and costs money to buy Parallels or Fusion. If you don't want to play games, this is a great option if you want the most convenient use of Windows, where you can just turn it on inside OS X and use whatever programs you need, then suspend your Windows session and quit the virtual machine. Both programs can also run off of your Bootcamp partition if you want to be able to boot into Windows natively sometime. For Windows to work smoothly in Fusion or Parallels, you'll probably want at least 2GB RAM. I don't think 1GB would really be enough. 2GB should suffice, but 3 or 4 GB would really fly and is probably preferable if you mean to use Vista.

In all three instances, you will need a copy of Windows to install it. Legally, you probably need to buy a new one, otherwise you won't be able to "activate" Windows. Slightly less legally, you can uninstall Windows from your old computer and install it on your Mac, then choose the "activate by phone" option when asked to activate Windows, and tell the Microsoft representative that you changed the hard drive/motherboard/RAM on your old machine and needed to reinstall, but Windows no longer recognizes it; they'll give you a new activation code to use. Illegally, you can find "cracks" that will let you activate your copy of Windows no matter what, but we don't discuss that kind of thing here. If you don't mind breaking the law, Google it.

As for Parallels vs. Fusion...they both have free trials (albeit sizeable downloads) so you can download both and try them out. Lots of people seem to prefer Fusion for its stability, speediness, and for VMWare's long history in the virtual machine business, but there are also those who like Parallels better, think it's faster, and has better features. Personally, I'm running XP through Fusion on 2GB RAM and it works just fine. It uses almost all of my RAM when I have that and several other programs open, but after a couple minutes there's no slow down at all. I prefer Fusion.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Certain Apps will run in CrossOver.

PaintShop Pro? I am sure there is some freeware on the mac that have similar features except it will be better. Search for apps on

macupdate.com
    versiontracker.com

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

Adobe will let you transfer the license from a PC to your new Mac. Just call them up.

Parallels does not let an application take advantage of the 3D hardware in the video system. So it is not good for games. Other then game-like programs I'd go with Parallels or VMware. I prefer VMware. Boot camp require you to re-boot the computer to use Windows. The others allows you to use Windows on the mac desktop but you do need some RAM installed to make that smooth

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

Gimp. look at www.gimp.org

9. ChrisA macrumors G4

VMware has a free program you can download. It is called "converter" or something like that. Run it on your old PC and it will create an "image" of the old PC that you can run inside a VMware virtual machine. This makes moving your old PC stuff to the Mac trivial. "Converter" makes an exact clone of the PC down to the last detail of the registry

10. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Paintshop pro & publisher will run fine using bootcamp

11. lemondropchick thread starter macrumors newbie

First, thank you for all your input. I really appreciate it. I'll have to look into what I quoted above. I have an original full version of XP (I cannot for the life of me remember where it came from) that's not be installed more than once. I wonder if I'll have to suck it up and call MS for a new reg #.

It goes back to that old dog/new tricks thing. ;) I have Photoshop, and I'm doing my best to learn it so that one day I can be free of my dependence on crappy software.

My Dreamweaver is the older version 8 (the one just below CS3), and Adobe isn't offering any fixes for that version for Leopard. I could run it before I upgraded to Leopard. It's not a matter of windows vs mac as far as that's concerned.

12. Slayerboym88 macrumors regular

So if i run Vista on VMWare, and have 4GB, will it lag at all? My main instigator for the bifurcation is The Sims 2 which is much more RAM heavy than one would expect! I take it that Office 2007 programs would work flawlessly?

13. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Shouldnt do not with 4GB,if your concerned about lag why not run fusion of a bootcamp partition,that
    way you have the best of both worlds and can just run bootcamp when you need native speeds.When
    you dont you can run it through a VM

14. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

what i did was install through bootcamp so that if u wanna do some thing demanding of your machine then u can reboot into windoze and have native speeds and u still have the option of using parrallels or VMWare fusion if you wanna virtualise windoze on ur mac.