Mac virgin with questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RockerLOD, Jun 26, 2012.

1. RockerLOD macrumors newbie

Hello everybody.. I recently decided to swear off the evilness of PC and bought a used Mac.. I don't know too much about it... Well actually, I know nothing about my Mac, besides how to power it on and use iTunes..
    It's a power Mac g5 tower with dual 1.8 processors.. Not sure the year of manufacture.. (late 2005 I think) I do know it's pretty out of date..
    I do a lot of YouTubing, and I wanted to give Mac a try with video editing and photoshop.. I'm currently running OS 10.5.8.. I don't have iMovie in my computer and to be honest, I'm oblivious on how to get it.. Or what version is compatable with my machine and OS.. Can somebody ease steer me in the right direction? Also If anybody can help me find a programm (preferably free) to save YouTube videos to my hard drive for editing that would be most appreciated.. thank you so much.

2. musty345, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2012

musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

From my googling I think you're running OS Leopard, so iLife '11 (which includes iMovie) won't work but I think iLife '09 will which you can buy from Amazon here for just over £20. I don't think that's an affiliate link but I'm logged into my Amazon account so it might be, so please head over to Amazon and search iLife '09 and you can get it from there.

If anything I've said is wrong, please correct it!

3. RockerLOD thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much.. I'll take a look.

----------

I looked into iLife 09 which includes iMovie (what I'm looking for specifically) and I stumbled onto this site.. I only have dual 1.8ghz processors.. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3876
    Will this still run on my computer.. The OS is compatable, but are my processors sufficient?

I apologize in advance for any stupid questions.. I'm just a little frustrated..

4. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

You raised a very good point, In that case it seems like only iLife '06 is compatible, here's the link to Apple's iLife '06 system requirements page (Link). It costs £60 on Amazon so I'm just wondering whether it's worth bothering spending £60 on it, I'm not sure how much you'll be able to do on iMovie '06 on your older mac. You might want to look into some free alternatives just to see whether it's worth attempting to video edit on it, I'll have a look for some now :)

5. RockerLOD thread starter macrumors newbie

:( not the news I wanted to hear. Thank you for the help.

6. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

I'm sorry about that, it's nice that the Macs still working though after all of this time :)

My googling led me to an application called HyperEngine AV and I found a download link that was updated in 2006. Hopefully it should work! Click here for the link. Alternatively you can download it from Cnet here, but it might be updated for modern Macs and not work on yours, anyway you can try it here.

Good luck!

7. RockerLOD thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your tips and research.. Hopefully I can get something installed to do the job :)