Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulNI

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
I'm completely new to this and would appreciate some advice.

I need to install Windows 7 for a couple of programs I use daily, I've already installed Windows 7 via bootcamp but I don't think it suits my needs.

Basically I want a setup where I'm working from my Mac OS and I can quickly switch between X Lion and Windows 7 via a shortcut key/tab or a few clicks.

What virtual program would be best for doing this? Parallels perhaps?

I tried setting up Bootcamp but I think I can only choose to boot from one OS or the other which doesn't suit my needs

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'd suggest going to the Windows on Mac forum. Either Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion would work. There is also a free program called VirtualBox, and there is a MacUpdate Bundle special on VMWare Fusion at the moment. I have used both Parallels Desktop and Fusion on my MacBook Air, and either would work well.

What programs will you be running?

-lefty

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2012
UK
Parallels lets you run Windows inside of your Mac. Just treat it as another application. You can also use Virtual Box which is free.

Last edited:

PaulNI

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
I'd suggest going to the Windows on Mac forum. Either Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion would work. There is also a free program called VirtualBox, and there is a MacUpdate Bundle special on VMWare Fusion at the moment. I have used both Parallels Desktop and Fusion on my MacBook Air, and either would work well.

What programs will you be running?

Sounds like Parallels is the program for me!

Mainly Football Manager 2012, Dreamweaver, Adobe Photoshop & Premiere

I know I can get pretty much all these programs for the Mac but I've already paid for them and don't want to have to pay for them again just to get the Mac versions.

Parallels lets you run Windows inside of your Mac. Just treat it as another application. You can also use Virtual Box which is free.

That's what I want! Thanks for your help guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.