Mac Virus? Google Redirect.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by riverkite, Mar 11, 2011.

1. riverkite macrumors newbie

I have no idea why this is happening. I haven't used any other programs or websites in the past 2 years, but all of a sudden I am having troubles that resemble a virus. When I go to Google and try to click on a site it will send me to a random website and than redirect me to Yahoo. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Can it be a virus? It doesn't happen for all websites, but for several.

I don't download music or anything like that.

Please help!

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I don't know what it is, but it's not a virus.

Probably something has messed with your DNS settings. Either that or you (unknowingly?) installed some kind of browser toolbar that is intercepting your requests.

3. riverkite thread starter macrumors newbie

If it's that something has messed up my DNS settings? How do I attempt to fix that? Thanks...!

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Go to Network preferences, choose either Ethernet or Airport, whichever connection type you're using, then click Advanced in the lower right. Go to the DNS tab. Do you have entries in gray under DNS that cannot be changed or is there one or more entries in black? Delete the entries in black, click OK, then click Apply, and see if you are still running into issues. If manually removing the entries is insufficient, visit and run the removal download.

5. GGJstudios, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There has never been a virus in the wild that runs on Mac OS X. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install. Your problem lies with your DNS settings, either in your computer or in your router. To fix the problem, read the section, "Why am I being redirected to other sites?" in the following link:

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

What you're describing does not resemble a virus. Read the stuff in the link provided above.

7. Waki614 macrumors newbie

Re-direct Google Firefox

I had a problem with re-direct and I have stumbled on a temp solution.
    I found that on Firefox..under TOOLS and ADD-ON, I disabled everything except SHOCKWAVE FLASH. Could probably experiment with other disables but so far problem has stopped.