Mac Virus? Or What the Hell's Going On?

jackmack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
135
0
So I'm working on my project and i watch my volume go down.....

So i turn it back up...

few minutes later, it turns itself back down...

I turn it back up and sit back.... lil while later it turns itself back down.
I reboot my mac thinking its some glitch.. still does it randomly.

Any ideas on how to figure out what is wrong?

MBP 17" 2 gigs ram
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,604
146
Bergen, Norway
Someone messing with your remote...? Or someone else's remote...?

Or a stuck volume key...?

Or a normal hiccup that should be taken care of with the restart...?
 

jackmack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
135
0
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Someone messing with your remote...? Or someone else's remote...?

Or a stuck volume key...?

Or a normal hiccup that should be taken care of with the restart...?

Son of a bitch... my dog was playing with the remote behind me.

*sigh*

This has been driving me nuts all day. Thanks for the quick replies.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
balamw said:
GSM mobile phones cause that kind of interference with 5G iPods, so maybe it's something similar...
Wait, erm... the 5G iPod doesn't even have any kind of radio frequency receiver, does it? A phone causes interference with it? :eek: :(
 

jackmack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
135
0
sushi said:
Dang Dog virus. You got to watch those! :D
lol, i have a feeling this is going to be one of those threads im never going to be able to live down.
 

calculus

Guest
Dec 12, 2005
4,510
4
mkrishnan said:
Wait, erm... the 5G iPod doesn't even have any kind of radio frequency receiver, does it? A phone causes interference with it? :eek: :(
Yup. I've had this happen. When a call or a text message comes in the volume goes up and down.
 

balamw

Moderator
Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
19,095
963
New England
jackmack said:
lol, i have a feeling this is going to be one of those threads im never going to be able to live down.
Dogs can definitely be vectors for many viruses... :p

B
 

calculus

Guest
Dec 12, 2005
4,510
4
jackmack said:
lol, i have a feeling this is going to be one of those threads im never going to be able to live down.
Well at least you found out what it was. You did use the words mac and virus together though which as you should know is forbidden.:)
 

jackmack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
135
0
calculus said:
Well at least you found out what it was. You did use the words mac and virus together though which as you should know is forbidden.:)

Forbidden? Yes. A way to get a bunch of mac people riled up enough to respond asap? you betcha. ;)
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
calculus said:
Yup. I've had this happen. When a call or a text message comes in the volume goes up and down.
You sure your dog didn't bite your cell phone? :eek: ;) :D

Okay, sorry, couldn't resist. Trailing dog days of the summer. Erm. Ahem. I'm sorry for being a bitch. Oh! :eek:
 

calculus

Guest
Dec 12, 2005
4,510
4
mkrishnan said:
You sure your dog didn't bite your cell phone? :eek: ;) :D

Okay, sorry, couldn't resist. Trailing dog days of the summer. Erm. Ahem. I'm sorry for being a bitch. Oh! :eek:
'Dog Bites Phone' now there's a headline...
 

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
15,631
3
キャンプスワ&#
jackmack said:
lol, i have a feeling this is going to be one of those threads im never going to be able to live down.
No worries. You are among friends.

...besides, most of us have stories/situations similar to this -- just some of us haven't admitted them! :eek: :D
 

nakedguy

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2006
43
0
I actually had that, it wasn't my dog though. It was my Logitech Mac keyboard that actually got ruined because of cigarrete ash along other trash. Nice that your dog haven't actually eaten your remote.
 

upupnorth

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2008
1
0
thank you

We spent an hour troubleshooting and searching the web to find out why the volume key was stuck...after reading this thread, we moved around the papers on our desk and found a book on top of the volume control for the headphones. :eek: