Mac Virus/ Trojon

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EnglishmaninLA, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EnglishmaninLA macrumors newbie

So I'm looking at a Samsung LCD on Amazon & Safari gets redirected to some weird site that comes up with a dialogue box stating that my computers is under threat & it has found 3 errors/ virus's/ trojons. This all happens in the span of 3-5 seconds It automatically downloads an .exe file.

I closed all open apps & windows, secure delete the .exe file, reset Safari & restart the system.

I assume that as it is an .exe file it is designed for Windows.

Am I safe or do I need to get Nortons? I run the system in STEALTH MODE all the time & connect to the web using Airport.

Thanks!:eek:

Mac Book Pro, OSX 10.5.2 (All the latest updates), 2.4GHz, 2GB Ram, 160 GB HD, external raids & esata drves for video, music & audio.

2. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

That was just an ad for an antivirus program. There are no viruses for OS X, so just delete that .exe the site downloaded, and you're all set.

Steve

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Quite common. It's just a popup ad designed to make you think you have a virus so you then buy their crap. Nothing to worry about. People at work get these all the time and end up calling us IT guys wondering if they have a virus

4. EnglishmaninLA thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, thanks. I'm using the pop up blocker in Safari (which normally works fine), so I don't know why this is happening. It hasn't happened before.

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Word of warning dont ever ever install Norton on your Mac it'll turn it into a expensive silver slug

And as others have said dont believe those pop-ups

6. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Congratulations! You are the 1,000th visitor to this thread. Download this program to win your free prize!

... Yeah, don't believe internet pop-ups. Especially not ones that appear as XP dialogue boxes telling you you have viruses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.