Mac Virus???

IMcD23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Yesterday, I was working and came by my computer and there was a progress bar on the screen. I assumed it was an automated update downloading, so I ignored it and continued my work. This morning, there was a web site open: http://www.123.com/ . I also saw that some of my files were different. I closed everything and shut down my computer. Now, what do I do??? What is wrong??? Please Help!!!

EDIT: I have a 17-inch iMac Core 2 Duo, 1GB ram, Mac OS X 10.4.10

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Firstly never ignore a progress bar... at the very least look to see what it's doing. Secondly, what files have been modified and how? That website looks very innocent so I doubt you have a problem.

IMcD23

macrumors regular
Original poster
A Text file that I created elsewhere was in a word document named rtx.doc

I also went to the web site and it is completely different than what it was before, it looked like Chinese or Japanese. Do you think it has been masked?

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Actually, talking about Microsoft, have you used any MS Office documents with Macros in them? Macros have been known to cause problems in the past.

IMcD23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Actually, talking about Microsoft, have you used any MS Office documents with Macros in them? Macros have been known to cause problems in the past.
I don't think so, i'll check.

EDIT: There are a bunch of them when i go into word and click tools --> macro --> macros. They are: AddToolbar, convertToPDF, DeleteTheFile, Main, popSaveAsDialog, reloadDoc, reloadDocPatched, startMail, startPrint. Macro created 8/4/07 by (My Name)

volvoben

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
nowhere fast
:eek: I am sure someone is controlling my computer now, I was working on it again and my cursor was moving around and clicking on stuff. It was freaky!!! What should I do??? :confused:
Well, to be sure that no one can contact your machine, just unplug the ethernet or turn off the airport/unplug the router/modem. This is the only way anyone could be controlling your machine, so cut off that link first, then worry about what might be wrong.

Pucas

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2007
omg.. It sounds very sick :s

I was told that mac couldn't get Virus.. So this might be wrong ??

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
A Mac cannot get a virus, until you start trying to do things PC style, ie, installing Microsoft Office, or running CrossOver (which is why I don't do either any more).

PCs get viruses, and Macs get viruses if they try and be PCs. That's the easiest way of looking at it.

polycat33

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Alexandria, VA
How do you disable Macros in Word? That's the first program I bought cause I wanted to be able to continue using it, I have so many documents in Word and stuff... but I sure don't want to open myself up to viruses!

IMcD23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Macros

How do you disable Macros in Word? That's the first program I bought cause I wanted to be able to continue using it, I have so many documents in Word and stuff... but I sure don't want to open myself up to viruses!
I'm pretty sure that when you open one with macros, a box comes up and asks you if you want to disable macros for that document.

polycat33

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Alexandria, VA
That's right, I've seen that before - never knew what to answer though. I was hoping there was a way to disable it in preferences so that it applies to all documents you open without asking. But I can live with the popup now that I know the right choice.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
That's right, I've seen that before - never knew what to answer though. I was hoping there was a way to disable it in preferences so that it applies to all documents you open without asking. But I can live with the popup now that I know the right choice.
There is a way at least on window to do this, will check it out when i'm back at my mac.