Mac Virus

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Schafferius, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Schafferius macrumors newbie

Hey, new to the forum. Came here because I'm in need of dire help.
    I downloaded a game from a torrent (Hitman: Blood Money). I haven't had problems with torrents before. I got the game running etc etc.

But when I exited the game to go to bed, my mac started playing up. At first my mouse would open up dashboard no matter what or where i clicked. After pulling my mouse out it would randomly click onto things and wouldn't let go on them. My dock wouldn't pop up from hiding unless I clicked near the bottom. And when it popped up, it wouldn't flow like it would (with the magnification setting I believe)

When I click the bars up the top (File, Edit, View, etc) and unless I hold down the primary click. It doesn't stay open.

I decided to download a mac antivirus and scan my computer. But it found nothing.

I'm a WoW player and I went into WoW a few moments and I could click nothing.

So I come here in seek of help. I am totally lost and frustrated with this. Please help :(

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, searching the forum with MRoogle will reveal that there are too many threads on this topic to count. It's best to try searching before posting redundant threads.

A computer virus is a computer program that can copy itself and infect a computer. The term "virus" is also commonly but erroneously used to refer to other types of malware, adware, and spyware programs that do not have the reproductive ability.

From Symantec:
    As of this time, there are NO viruses in the wild that affect current Mac OS X. In the past, there have been a few viruses that ran on older versions of the Mac operating system, but no longer.

There are, as of this time, trojans that can affect Mac OS X, but these must be downloaded and installed by the user, which involves entering the user's administrator password. Trojans can easily be avoided by the user exercising common sense and caution when installing applications. A common source of trojans is pirated software, typically downloaded from bit torrent sites.

Having virus protection software on your Mac is pointless, as far as protecting your Mac from viruses, since AV software can't detect a virus that doesn't exist. It is possible to have a file reside on your hard drive that contains a Windows virus, but since a Windows virus (program) can't run in native Mac OS X, it would be harmless to your Mac. Some choose to run AV on their Mac to scan for Windows viruses, so the Mac user can't pass a virus-infected file to a Windows user. In my opinion, a Windows user should be protected by their own AV software, so the burden of protection lies with the Windows user.

3. Schafferius thread starter macrumors newbie

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. Schafferius thread starter macrumors newbie

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try rebooting. Check Activity Monitor to see what's running.

7. Schafferius thread starter macrumors newbie

Any suggestion as to what I should be looking for that isn't normal?

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Ahoy matey! (Hello)

Yer mack be seized eh? (You think something is wrong with your machine)

Did ye put in yer password on the install? (Did you put in your root password when you installed the program?)

9. Schafferius thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't remember, I don't think so.

It was one of those "Drag this file into the app shortcut" type of things

10. Quint macrumors member

Your mouse/trackpad/keyboard button is stuck down.
    Do you have a bluetooth mouse or keyboard connected but tossed in a drawer?
    Unplug your keyboard and see if you still have the problem. Then unplug the mouse and try a different one.
    Also, turn off bluetooth and test.