Mac Viruses

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Anomalus, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Anomalus macrumors newbie

Anomalus

I am in need of some information on Mac Viruses.

I know there are some, but I have no idea what they can do and how to avoid them. I know the probability of getting one is minimal, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

And I've always wondered, if there are so few and seemingly harmless Mac viruses, why are there 3 different anti-viruses made just for :apple:?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

there are no mac viruses, only a few trojans

antivirus sotware is pretty much so you dont spread the virus to pcs

3. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

In order to avoid them, dont download new codecs, you are usuallly asked to download them from adult sites dont download a app if the app's website has alot of typos and terrible english and just dont be stupid on the web thats how most people get them. and there are anti virus stuff out there because those companies want to make a ton of money off of 3 or 4 viruses:D

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

No, there are no viruses on the Mac. People have made virus software for Mac because they want to make money and people will buy anything. There are some trojans on the Mac though and some of the software checks for trojans, such as iAntivirus. The other reason for the software is that some of them checks for Windows viruses in order to keep you from propagating to others. This is a topic brought up weekly so please you the search in the future to avoid redundant threads.

5. Anomalus thread starter macrumors newbie

Anomalus