Mac - Vista networking problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by skorned, Sep 3, 2008.

1. skorned macrumors newbie

Ok i have a vista ultimate pc, connected by ethernet to a netgear router. The router also has wifi, via which my Macbook pro is connected. Both get proper internet access. both computers have sharing switched on, and i can access my mac shares from my pc. However, it isnt working the other way round. In finder, i click on connect to server, enter smb://192.168.1.3 ( my PC's ip), and click connect. However it gives me an error saying 'Could not connect to the server because the name or password is incorrect', when i havent even got the popup to enter my login credentials!! Can someone please help?? Additional details below:
    Vista connectivity settings:
    Network Discovery: On
    File Sharing: On
    Public Folder Sharing: on(read only)
    Printer Sharing: On
    Password Protected Sharing: Off
    Media Sharing: Off
    Workgroup: WORKGROUP

I even tried switching password protected sharing on but to no avail. I installed bonjour for windows but it has been completely and utterly useless. Its so pathetic it doesnt even have any interface at all. Zero-config networking my ***...

Mac settings:
    Firewall:
    Allow:
    Personal File Sharing
    Windows Sharing
    iChat Bonjour
    iTunes Bonjour
    iPhoto Bonjour

Active Directory Settings:
    SMB/CIFS enabled, v1.3.1
    workgroup: WORKGROUP
    Bonjour enabled.
    Someone please please help as this is getting really irritating.

LAN setup:
    Netgear Wifi Router, 192.168.1.2 ( i dunno why it isnt on 1, but it just isnt), connected to:
    My Isp's modem via ethernet cable,
    My Vista pc via ethernet cable at 192.168.1.3 (bcoz my pc doesnt have wifi)
    My macbook via wifi, at 192.168.1.4

2. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

Try temporarily disabling the username/password on your Vista computer, and try it again. :apple:

3. skorned thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont think that would work, as mac compulsorily needs authentication to log in. I remember reading that you must put a password on the vista pc to log in to it from a mac. just their way to make sure the samba protocol remains secure. because of that, i was forced to put a password on my comp although i'm the only one using it, and set up a program to auto-login.

but anyways, no harm in trying it out.