Mac-Vista screen sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TheRE, May 18, 2010.

1. TheRE macrumors newbie

I have a friend who uses a pc running Windows Vista, and I use a macbook running Snow Leopard. Is there any way I can control their screen from mine? We're not on the same network or anything, I mean simply through our internet connections. Thank you in advance for the help

2. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Do you want him to see what you're doing, or are you taking it over for tech support purposes?

Depending on how good their internet firewall/router is, you could do this:

1. Install Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection on your Mac
    2. On his router, set port 3390 on the outside IP to pass to port 3389 on the inside IP
    3. Make sure there's a password on the account you're connecting to
    4. Make sure Remote Desktop is enabled on his machine
    5. From your end, open RDC, point at 1.2.3.4:3390 (filling in his IP instead)

This gets you complete control of the system, the ability to access it from the outside, from anywhere. It secures it a little by using 3390 instead of 3389, etc.

It sounds complicated, but I have done this on my mom's PC so that I can hit it from my Mini. She's 500 miles away.

If you just want to really share and use his machine while he's watching, I think you can use Skype for that.

3. TheRE thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fast replies, Teamviewer works pretty good so far. I did use Remote Desktop before, but I do want the person to be able to see what I'm doing, and skype doesn't work quite right for me when going between mac and windows for some reason.