Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I found this to be funny. It also explained why some new Mac users use lots of caps :)

http://blog.latcarf.com/archives/147-Its-not-MAC!.html

I'm not trying to correct anybody, I was just curious of WHY some people do this.

I see this a lot. I try and explain the difference to forum member sometimes but I think people think I'm being snarky when in reality I'm trying to explain that MAC and Mac are two completely different things.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
I see this a lot. I try and explain the difference to forum member sometimes but I think people think I'm being snarky when in reality I'm trying to explain that MAC and Mac are two completely different things.

Haha us Mac users get kind of touchy about that kind of stuff.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I agree it's not MACintosh.

however people can name their folders/files whatever they want, surely?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I support macs at work, and all too frequently I get a ticket with having problem x with my MAC.

Meh, I don't care what they call it. I know people where this really rubs them the wrong way but its not worth the aggrevation

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
I've been tempted to answer the question as if they actually had a problem with their MAC, just to be difficult, but I couldn't be bothered really.

It does annoy me greatly. As well as when customers say they need something for a Mac Pro when they have an MBP, and "Airmac" "Airbook" and variations of those. Can't people dedicate half a second to reading the text on the display or their box?

Drew017

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
I've been tempted to answer the question as if they actually had a problem with their MAC, just to be difficult, but I couldn't be bothered really.

It does annoy me greatly. As well as when customers say they need something for a Mac Pro when they have an MBP, and "Airmac" "Airbook" and variations of those. Can't people dedicate half a second to reading the text on the display or their box?

Yea all you have to do is look down about 4 inches and there it is- MacBook. Besides, they should know what they bought :p

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I think some Mac users care too much about nonsense.

Call Big-Mac for all I care.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I think it comes from experience with PCs. No one sees this and construes it as iScreaming. Ha! iScream! I made a funny...:eek:

Seriously, most folks don't know that MAC is Media Access Control and could care less, let alone grasp this:

The MAC sub-layer acts as an interface between the logical link control (LLC) sublayer and the network's physical layer. The MAC layer emulates a full-duplex logical communication channel in a multi-point network. This channel may provide unicast, multicast or broadcast communication service.

Dale

Drew017

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
I think it comes from experience with PCs. No one sees this and construes it as iScreaming. Ha! iScream! I made a funny...:eek:

Seriously, most folks don't know that MAC is Media Access Control and could care less, let alone grasp this

Totally agree. I just have never figured out why some people write it in all caps. Though, I do remember seeing MAC (As a Mac) in the instructions for an $85 samson microphone. It says

"The MAC will recognize the USB audio device and automatically install a new driver"

They also used a mixture of screenshots from Leopard and Tiger

:apple:

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
It drives me crazy and i correct people every single time. Same for "OS ex" instead of "OS 10", and generally everything else, Apple related or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.