Mac vs. MAC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by roland.g, Jan 10, 2008.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Sometimes it seems there is some confusion, or simply misuse of the term MAC.

MAC from Wikipedia: In computer networking a Media Access Control address (MAC address) or Ethernet Hardware Address (EHA) or hardware address or adapter address is a quasi-unique identifier attached to most network adapters (NICs). It is a number that acts like a name for a particular network adapter, so, for example, the network cards (or built-in network adapters) in two different computers will have different names, or MAC addresses, as would an Ethernet adapter and a wireless adapter in the same computer, and as would multiple network cards in a router. However, it is possible to change the MAC address on most of today's hardware, often referred to as MAC spoofing.

While a Mac which is short for Macintosh is a personal computer (yes a PC) produced by Apple Inc., formerly Apple Computer Inc. Macs are available in desktop and notebook versions including the Mac Mini, iMac, Mac Pro, MacBook and MacBook Pro product lines. However, let it also be known that while every internet equipped Mac has a MAC, a MAC is not nor should it be confused with a Mac.

And if you are looking to get a Mac, the members here at Mac Rumors would be glad to help you decide which one.

2. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I guess I shouldn't admit this but I thought this was going to be a conversation for us girls. You know MAC makeup, LOL J/K. :p

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Unfortunately I don't think anyone who was going to write MAC will learn from reading this thread...

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Given the context of the thread, this needs to be stickied :D

déjà vu |ˌdā zh ä ˈvoō|
    noun
    a feeling of having already experienced the present situation.

a feeling of having already experienced the present situation.

a feeling of having already experienced the present situation...

:rolleyes:

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Brilliant come-back there. ;)

I agree that this needs to be clarified, however I also think psychofreak is right in that it won't affect those individuals who do insist on typing MAC when referring to a Mac.

But at least if we get this stickied and someone does do it, we can just link them to this page.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I have to agree, that it's almost pointless to try and correct people. For every one you educate, there are 10 ignoramuses to take their place.

I once got a Remedy ticket stating that someone had issues with their "MACK". :rolleyes:

That was pretty much it for me caring.

8. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

10. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Dude, shut up! :)

Thanks for combining my posts though... I do appreciate that.

11. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Surely posting that has caused a feedback loop in the fabric of reality?

12. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Fantastic. There seems to be a thing on the boards today with the word 'pedant'. I'm still recuperating from the criticism I received for pointing 3 threads on the same subject!:eek:

13. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Yes I noticed that. The question is, is it Sky Blue who keeps bringing it up in these threads?

I'd go and look but I can't remember where I've been seeing it.

How intriguing. It's a word of the day!