Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
The Windows Explorer has always been a mess. The one in Windows 8 is just godawful. It's the Kitchen-sink mentality.

If consumers *already* know how to use Windows, it's because it has been inflicted on them at work and at some point they've had to use a PC. It isn't because of ease, but because of unfortunate necessity.

Good god . . .

Cool so you agree then. For people who use windows for most of their life. It is easier for them to stay one windows, than to switch to a completely different OS?

You always try to dismiss argument with some ridiculous paragraph about something that is always "A Mess" "Or not right". You fail to answer my question...and most peoples questions.

I made no comment on the specific functionality of either OS. I just stated that it was easier for people who are familiar with it. Don't move goals posts.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
The Windows Explorer has always been a mess. The one in Windows 8 is just godawful.

Actually, it works superbly well. I know as I've been running & testing it for nearly 10 months now.

Even the copy & paste of multiple items has been condensed into one box, you can suspend & prioritise jobs, it's ingenious and will be copied by everyone else.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
The Windows Explorer has always been a mess. The one in Windows 8 is just godawful. It's the Kitchen-sink mentality.

If consumers *already* know how to use Windows, it's because it has been inflicted on them at work and at some point they've had to use a PC. It isn't because of ease, but because of unfortunate necessity.

exphe.png

Good god . . .

[Citation Needed]

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Actually, it works superbly well.

Apple could improve Finder a lot by looking at windows file explorer. For example, IMO, having the directory structure on the left that is expandable is extremely handy - something that should be in the Finder.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Apple could improve Finder a lot by looking at windows file explorer. For example, IMO, having the directory structure on the left that is expandable is extremely handy - something that should be in the Finder.

It's extra cruft. That sort of ancient clutter from the early days of Windows doesn't need to be there.

In fact, Apple is challenging our conventional assumptions about filesystems (iOS), and doing quite a successful job of it at that.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
That sort of ancient clutter from the early days of Windows doesn't need to be there.

That's your opinion. Just because you don't think it should be there doesn't mean that everyone thinks the same way. Having an option for it wouldn't hurt anyone.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
If you ask me, all GUI file managers suck. Windows Explorer, Finder, Nautilus, Konqueror, Dolphin, whatever. They all suck and are quite inefficient.

However, I find that all players involved need to look into Konqueror and their use of kparts. 10 years ago, this was the complete bomb and Apple and Microsoft have yet to even approach the level of functionality and ease of use this provided.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
If you ask me, all GUI file managers suck. Windows Explorer, Finder, Nautilus, Konqueror, Dolphin, whatever. They all suck and are quite inefficient.

However, I find that all players involved need to look into Konqueror and their use of kparts. 10 years ago, this was the complete bomb and Apple and Microsoft have yet to even approach the level of functionality and ease of use this provided.

Spotlight what you want and you're there. Bypass file managers entirely. This is what Jobs wanted in 2004. However, he underestimated our habits (which, though habits, aren't always efficient.)

In any event, iOS is tackling this issue.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Spotlight what you want and you're there. Bypass file managers entirely. This is what Jobs wanted in 2004. However, he underestimated our habits (which, though habits, aren't always efficient.)

If by spotlight, you mean "Find" or "Search", on sterorids, which has existed for years, you'd be correct. And it exists in Windows as well as OS X...

Spotlight is, by definition, a search feature, not a file manager.

If you're claiming that Spotlight is actually a finder replacement (which it obviously isn't, no cut/copy/paste/rename, to name just 4 features), then instead what you're arguing is that Apple did what it always does when it can't figure out how to make something more simple - throw it out and make it completely different and incomprehensible as a replacement.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
If by spotlight, you mean "Find" or "Search", on sterorids, which has existed for years, you'd be correct. And it exists in Windows as well as OS X...

And even then, Spotlight throws out so much crap (like all plist files, headers, libraries, basically anything that contains the sub-string you typed...) it's not even great at searching unless you use the more advanced filters.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

Oh ****, I forgot what I named my file...

Hiding File Systems on full desktop OSs from the user will cause nothing but problems. On a mobile device, there isn't much need, as all you want to do is call, text, Facebook, camera, music. However I do think the iPad needs some sort of filesystem implementation from Apple if they are to target it as a replacement to computers.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Oh ****, I forgot what I named my file...

Hiding File Systems on full desktop OSs from the user will cause nothing but problems. On a mobile device, there isn't much need, as all you want to do is call, text, Facebook, camera, music. However I do think the iPad needs some sort of filesystem implementation from Apple if they are to target it as a replacement to computers.

Type in any word or phrase within your file. There it is.

----------

And even then, Spotlight throws out so much crap (like all plist files, headers, libraries, basically anything that contains the sub-string you typed...) it's not even great at searching unless you use the more advanced filters.

How on earth are you getting plist files, libraries and other crap? :confused:

I actually have to dig to find those. What are you using Spotlight for?

I have: Top Hit, Documents, PDF Documents, Look Up, and Web Searches. I type in a phrase in an article or the author's name, and boom, it's there. I want to refer to a paper I wrote last year, or to an idea in it, I type in some keywords and it pops up. There's no confusion.

Insanely useful and convenient.

Last edited:

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
It's extra cruft. That sort of ancient clutter from the early days of Windows doesn't need to be there.

In fact, Apple is challenging our conventional assumptions about filesystems (iOS), and doing quite a successful job of it at that.

But if Apple had implemented the expandable directory leaf, it would be fantastic. A gamer changer. Evolutionary.
:rolleyes:
File systems are going to be around for a long time. They are a way of organizing files to security reasons. SJ may have said file systems were the thing of the past, but he was referring to consumer based products, targetted towards the the iCrowd. He wasn't thinking of businesses, or anything more than very light casual computing.

--
KnightWRX , I also get header files (.h) and other results as a spotlight search - to be honest, its a PITA.. and yes, adds so much crap, especially when these files are ranked higher than more revelent results. Therefore you have to use more advanced search filters, which takes more time etc etc.

Last edited:

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011

exphe.png

Good god . . .

As opposed to Finder where I can barely perform any file operations efficiently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.