Mac vs. PC guy bothering me

Discussion in 'macOS' started by taptic, Jan 4, 2013.

1. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

Hi,

There's a guy I know that keeps bothering me about whether or not PCs are better than Macs. I personally like Macs better, but I don't debate much with him. He keeps bringing it up all the time though. Is there anything I could say that would make him shut up and think that maybe Macs aren't so bad without really hurting his feelings?

2. taptic thread starter macrumors 65816

taptic

3. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: blame...

Hi,

...just like in marriage, best policy is "Your right honey, I'm wrong, my fault, sorry...", even if you are right.

So, in my opinion, the best way to get this guy off your back is to admit that PCs are better than Macs. If he is that persistent, then it doesn't matter...you'll never change his mind nor would you want to. It's kind of like religious beliefs, he believes in Chronos and Zeus, and you believe in Jesus or Shiva or whomever. It's a no-win argument.

...just my two cents worth of free advice, and you get what you pay for...

Regards,
    Switon

4. torana355 macrumors 68020

This is something i do aswell, when it comes to certain people you are best to just play dumb and agree with them.

5. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: respect...

Yes, it is just the people that I respect that I will take the time to argue with, people I do not respect never get any of my time...perhaps sad, but true...Switon (my mate, on the other hand, I also never argue with...I respect her, but I'm always wrong, she is always right, and I never ever argue with her...makes for a different type of peace)

6. g4 powerbookboy macrumors regular

7. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Learn enough Linux buzzwords to sound like you know what you're talking about. Then admit to the superiority of PCs and recast the discussion to Windows versus Linux.

This will have one of two results:

1. He will be so bored that he'll avoid future conversations.
    2. He will be into Linux too, in which case it's hopeless and you need to avoid all conversations with him.

If you want to try engaging him you might point out that:

1. All computers use standard components from the same suppliers.
    2. All Macs run Windows

8. Zerozal macrumors 6502

Tell him to grow up and find something worthwhile to spend his time on.

9. Snarl macrumors member

good advice

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have another suggestion....but I doubt the moderators would approve of it.

11. Phrygian macrumors regular

tell him it is a 25 year old debate and no one except teenagers on the interenet care anymore.

tell him that hardware wise there is no difference between an Mac and a PC and what he is really complaining about is OS X vs Windows

tell him windows seems to copy everything that apple does these days (windows 8)

tell him you run can run windows 7 using bootcamp, while for him to run os x on his current windows pc would be a huge pain in the ass.

tell him that while you know macs are stupidly overpriced, they do make a very solid laptop.

and finally, tell him that OS X is built on linux, and with proper use of the terminal it can be a very open and complex os, despite being dumbed down for most people.

and, you can also tell him to sod off.

12. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Ugh--I feel your pain, brother. (Or sister, maybe. I don't know.)

Someone in my family is now dating a guy that's constantly hounding me. He has a very intense personality, and he's always trying to get me riled up about Mac vs. PC and Android vs. iOS. I also have a guy at work who just spouts complete BS about anything Apple just to get me angry and start an argument.

Unfortunately, I had to treat both of these guys like I treat anything else that annoys me: remove it from my life. While I can't totally eliminate their presence, there were some very simple steps I took to get them both to leave me alone.

1) Both removed from my Facebook friends. While this doesn't wholly solve the problem, it gets all their lame opinions out of my face and takes one of their options away as far as methods they use to bug me about it.

2) Both told nicely (in person and face to face) to leave me alone about it.

3) #2 didn't work, so they were both told, when the occasion arose and in a much more aggressive manner, that I no longer want to discuss it, I don't appreciate their attempts to start arguments with me, and that I'm not wasting any more time commenting about it. I really did have to be rather terse about this to get my point across, but it mostly worked.

I am unfortunately in a position where I have one person in my family life and one person in my work life trying to constantly upset me. And it's not even the argument itself that upsets me. What upsets me is that this is just a power play. It's a dick move. It's intentionally designed to mess up my day. THAT'S what makes me angry. I don't see the point in arguing about stuff like this with people. Arguing about what computer or phone you prefer to use is like arguing about religion or politics. It just makes each side more convinced that they are right.

13. Melab macrumors regular

The kind of peace that's like Israeli-Palestinean cease fires?