MAC Vs PC - Internet Security

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jadamcyk, Aug 4, 2008.

1. jadamcyk macrumors newbie

Hey all

I'm relatively new to macs and have been a PC user for many years but am thinking about making the switch once the new macbooks come out.

My questions is what major differences are there in security from viruses, spyware, malware ect..?

My HP DV 1000 just got infested with spyware after downloading a torrent :(

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Number 1: SEARCH.

There are no viruses, malware, spyware, and as of the most recent patch, trojans for OS X.

You do NOT need anti-virus software. Such software is a virus in itself for OS X. This does not mean that you are safe.

User error is the biggest virus for either OS. You can still easily fall prey to scams and phishing in OS X... because those are user problems. You will just not have any malicious software. Don't install anything shady that you download from either OS.

3. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

Yup, there are meant to be no viruses. trogans and spyware for macs.

When an exploit is discovered it is patched.

So, whilst there is free antivirus software which you can install, it is arguably not essential unless you are taking large risks downloading potentially harmful files.

4. jroller macrumors regular

I invite you to check out this site. It has information about spyware/viruses and an article from a computer security expert who was "Mad as Hell" about his experience with Windows and wrote a series of posts (17, I think) about his choice to switch to mac. I think you will like what you read, especially after your recent experience.

5. gettin sombrero macrumors newbie

This isn't exactly true as the DNS issue still isn't patched. Still thats only one issue.

6. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

The best thing to do is use best practice - we all know that browsing safely helps, secure your Mac as much as you can without using 3rd party apps. If you check most of the boxes in System preferences you can make it quite a secure machine.

Also, as mentioned elsewhere in this forum, you'd have to be a bit daft to type in an admin password to install any malware if it ever came along for the Mac.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

Microsoft Windows is the only operating system where viruses, spyware, malware ect. are common. Those things don't happen on other OSes. It's not just that Macs are "different". No the Mac is just as safwe as any other OS, except Windows.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The most recent security update took care of that.

9. ChrisA macrumors G4

But is there any realistic way this could be exploited? That's the way all of these are.

10. gettin sombrero macrumors newbie

If there was one between the 31st and now it probably has but if not then no, atleast not according to nCircle and the SANS Institute.

Regarding how they could be realistically exploited? Check nCircles or SANS website, they probably have thorough run downs.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

actually, it didn't, apple did a half baked job, only patched half of the problem.
    The problem is the question you asked can not be accurately answered. Which is same for windows. If we entering "realistic exploit" discussion. We don't even have good number for windows (especially vista) anymore.

For OP.

Yes, for various reason, OSX is relatively much safer right now.

However, the situation is changing, and several points you might want to check:

1. Apple previously advised OSX users to install AV app in one of its release notes.

2. There are more to internet security than Viruses, Trojans, malwars etc, Phishing is a problem in OSX if you use safari, which provides no anti-phishing measures.

3. Apple does not usually respond to security risk very well. case in point, aforementioned DNS hole, M$ and some Linux vendors patched the problem immediately upon disclosure of the bug, While Apple took almost 3 weeks to issue a half finished patch.

4. The real concern I have, is that facing the not-so-good trend, there is limited, if any, actions that have been taken by apple.

For now, many people suggest free ClamXav. I sure hope there will be more transparent solutions from third parties and more comprehensive statements regarding the security from apple.

12. The Hammer macrumors regular

It is now.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nope. We JUST discussed that.

14. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Most people get viruses by manually installing programs from websites that tell you you have to install a plug-in to watch a video or download what youre looking for (or just get pestered so much by installers that they install them just to get rid of the notifications). None of those programs are compatible with OSX, so it is much safer currently to be on OS X, at least until those websites start offering OSX compatible virus installers.

15. gettin sombrero macrumors newbie

Well, as mac osx becomes more and more popular expect this to happen. Theres really no way to defend against user error.