Mac vs PC Presentation

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kayle12, Apr 7, 2011.

1. kayle12 macrumors member

Hello All,

For work tomorrow I need to give a presentation for a group. I need to compare Mac and PC. This presentation is not for techo-savy people, just regular computer users. Most people use PC's daily. So I need to present the good/bad of both platforms. The point of the presentation is not to have a winner...just compare the two.

So I've got a powerpoint made with some rough ideas, but I could use some extra help. Also I need to have a 10 minute demo showing the platforms, so any ideas on what to show during the demos?

Thanks for your help,

Kayle

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

What do you have so far so we don't repeat information you might already have on either platform.

3. kayle12 thread starter macrumors member

Here's a brief overview of what I have.

PC
    -You can build a PC from the ground up, picking each individual component. PCs give you maximum customization.
    - PCs are generally cheaper in price. You can get the same processor, amount of RAM, and hard drive capacity for much cheaper with a PC.
    - PC brands have a wide market. You have many options when it comes to choosing a PC: HP, Dell, Gateway, Sony, ASUS, etc...
    - PCs have better software compatibility. You can find practically any software for PC. Macs are more limited in selection.
    - More people use PCs. Thus, PCs have a larger support community behind them.
    - The majority of businesses use PCs.
    - PCs are better for gaming.
    - PCs have more compatible accessories than Macs.
    - PCs are more upgradable.

MAC
    - Macs give you the ability to run OS X and Windows.
    - Macs work great with other Apple components such as the iPhone, iPod Classic, iPod Nano, iPod Touch, iPod Shuffle, etc...
    - Macs are very simple to use.
    - Macs don't get viruses or spyware.
    - Purchasing a Mac gives you Apple Store support.
    - Apple uses quality parts to manufacture Macs.
    - Macs are trendsetting, designed well, and visually appealing.
    - Macs give you the ability to run OS X and Windows.
    - Macs come with better software, out of the box (iLife).
    - Out of the box, Macs are not loaded with trials and additional software.
    - Apple has top of the line phone support.

BTW: I use Mac's myself so..

4. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

You repeat yourself several times. Also, most of your points are arguable. Example: it's possible to run OS X on a PC. In fact, a Mac is a subset of PCs. Logically PCs are a superset of Macs. Basically a Mac is a particular instance/implementation of a PC.

One point you forgot: while PCs have their share of zealots, no individual brand has those amazing Steve Jobs-worshipping zombies that Macs have. The attitude "Mac is superior at everything" definitely goes with that territory.

5. kayle12 thread starter macrumors member

I like the zombies comment lol. I think I'm going to show the mac interface to people, as I'm sure very few people have used a mac before.

6. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

This thread sounds like it's circa '04.

Most of your statements are highly subjective. Unless you can actually back up each point with factual evidence, I'd avoid using it.

7. simsaladimbamba

When you say "PC", do you sometimes mean "Windows" (the OS)?

Btw, don't forgot to show Exposé and Spaces while holding down the SHIFT key.

8. r0n1n, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

r0n1n macrumors member

r0n1n

Corrected and added to your talking points. ;)

Exposé, spaces, spotlight, finder, front row, the dock (stacks), keyboard shortcuts.

9. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I think that you need to come at this from a different angle. You should look at Mac OS vs. Windows.

When you take OS X out of the mix you might as well be doing a comparison like Dell vs. all other manufacturers. When it comes down to it, Apples computers are just like everyone else's underneath. Therefore, it is the software that makes the difference and that is what you should focus on.

10. Xeperu macrumors 6502

To be honest, I was going to write a whole witty post pointing out the hilarities and misconception that OP has about Macs and Generic PCs, but while writing it I totally gave up hope of even getting through the layer of ignorance.

Simply put these days Macs and "Generic" PCs are not that different. Both can run OSX and Windows, both can be high design, both can be upgradable and configurable, both can come with great software out of the box. Both work great with extenal devices from a wide range of manufacturers.

One has an Apple on it, the other a different logo.

Both are PCs, Macs are just a brand.