.Mac vs Personal Server

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sammyman, Aug 25, 2007.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I run a website, so I have plenty of room where I can store my pics and music online. I never have because it really isn't convenient (although I am sure that I could make it convenient).

Do any of you that have personal private servers have .Mac, and why? What are the benefits besides ease of updating pictures etc.

2. MikeL macrumors 6502

I'm dropping .Mac this October. I can do considerably more with my Dreamhost account, for much less than half the cost.

I may miss the bookmark syncing, but then again mine hasn't worked well for six months and I haven't bothered to fix it. I can't miss it that much. Google provides me with good calendar syncing.

Apple has dropped the ball with .Mac. It's gone downhill since its debut, which is not how a service offering should progress.

3. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

You can setup a private web server to behave like .Mac. I remember reading several HOWTOs on the web. A quick google search returned this: http://www.tnpi.biz/computing/mac/tips/idisk/idisk-v2.shtml (I have no idea if it works).

.Mac access from apps like iCal and Backup are convenient, but not worth the hassle IMHO. You can try out setting it up in your own server, so you'll have both the convenience of .Mac, without the trouble of setting it up.