Mac vs Windows system 3D rating

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by MoodyM, Nov 6, 2010.

1. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

When I load up Football Manager 2011 on my 17" Mid-2010 i5 MacBook Pro, the game tells me my System's 3D rating is 4 stars out of 5.

If I boot the same MacBook Pro into Windows 7 via Boot Camp and start FM2011, the game tells me my System's 3D rating is 4.5 stars out of 5.

Any idea why they would be different? Both OS' run at the same resolution.

2. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

The GFX drivers under windows are a bit better then the GFX drivers under OS X. that's why you see different ratings on the same system when running different OSes.

3. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

MadMax (great movie :D) hit the nail on the head. OS X drivers aren't as developed for gaming as Windows are. Plus there's DirectX under Window's, which from what I've heard from developers, is much easier to obtain good performance from.

4. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

On the the bright side one of the big game vendor's data showed games on Windows had a bit better performance but the Mac platform was more stable. Sorry, but I can't remember the name of the game vendor at the moment. It was one of the big guys; not a small time company.

5. Venkman90 macrumors regular

Well Valve reported Portal crashed less under OSX early on iirc.

I think it has to do with how OSX runs applications, Windows closes things down and goes for speed > stability.

6. madmax_2069, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

i never had a crash on my PC with any of valves games. i can almost bet that its either a software issue (as in drivers or something conflicting) or a hardware issue more so then the game crashing due to a bug.

Thats because almost every game dev uses Direct x then any other API, that's why its so easy for them to develop games using directx then openGL or the like. most could not develop a game that uses the openGL API, they would have to be retrained (so to speak)

7. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

I run win7 on my mac and every time I play a game it crashes after 1-2 hours. I've gotten used to just gaming on my Mac because i never have to deal with crashes. It just runs well, maybe not as graphically intense but hopefully this will get better with 10.6.5 so i'll live with it.

8. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

I booted the game on my Mac today for the first time in ages, and now it says my system 3D rating is 1 star!!!

Why has this happened?