Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shawnperson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Hi,
I see my screen popping on for no reason staying on for 5 minuets or so then going back to sleep. Is this normal? I don't recall it doing this before but I have added an old p.c. to my network and got an iPad. Don't know if ether of those things have any relevance but like i said, I don't remember it happening before.
From what I understand, to get spyware or malware on the computer I need to instal it. But I could be wrong. I have an iMac running 10.6.4. Thanks for any help.

CortexRock

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2006
Canterbury, England
This could be because you've got 'Wake for Ethernet network access' enabled under System Preferences > Energy Saver.

Apple Help said:
Select this option if you want other users to be able to access your computer’s shared resources, such as shared printers or iTunes playlists, even when your computer is in sleep mode.

Your machine will wake up occasionally to ensure it's available to other devices on the network, like your PC and iPad.

Or it could be if you have Bluetooth keyboard / mouse, which I got around by switching off the ability to wake the Mac with either.

Hope that helps.

MonkeyET

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2009
Indio, CA
I have had a similar issue lately. I have found it to be from my firewire connected Hard Drive. It is on a energy saving power strip that turns off the drive when my iMac goes to sleep. It often takes a few seconds for the drive to shut down. If it takes too long it wakes the computer from Sleep.

I have also changed hard drives so this is most likely the case. Thinking of getting one of those iomega drives that are the same size as my Airport Extreme and hooking it to that via USB so I can backup my iMac and my MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.