Mac water problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tomnomnom696, Apr 17, 2015.

1. tomnomnom696 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I recently spilled a bit of water onto my macbook pro 2014. i opened it up to turn it on but the screen dimmed and then it wouldnt boot back up again. I used a hair drier on a low setting and put a fan on it since.

I attemped to open it 24 hours later are repeated use of the hair dryer. it managed to boot to the login screen but i noticed the keyboard didnt work properly (typed some keys twice) so i decided to login as a guest. It would start to restart but at the side theres this script and i cant really decipher it. it basically restarts again and boots into the login screen.

What do you guys think is the problem? What should i do from here? How much do you think it will cost to repair?

Thanks in advance

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The problem is 'water damage'.:eek: Sorry but isn't it obvios.

The 2ed mistake you made (after spilling water) is powering it up. You should never apply power to electronics until you are 100% sure all the water is removed. In all likelihood once you applied power you 'fried' circuitry. You will probably need to take it to an :apple:Store or reputable repair shop for repair.

3. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

Your logic board is fried. You'll need a new one. You have a few options.

1) take it to the Apple Store and get it repaired. It may or may not be worth it, as it'll probably cost close to a grand.

2) Open it up yourself and try to repair any corrosion or damaged components. Probably not likely to happen unless you have experience with this stuff.

3) Find a third party on eBay or locally who can repair water damage. I personally have zero experience with these people so YMMV.

Next time: shut off the computer immediately. Turn it upside down to try to let it fall out. Let it dry for a week. Then try turning it on.