MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple has finally updated their .Mac Webmail interface:

Introducing the next generation of webmail. With its smart use of the latest web technology, the new .Mac webmail will remind you of the Mail application on your desktop. You'll feel right at home with its simple and elegant interface, drag-and-drop capability, built in Address Book, and more

A sneak peak of the updated .Mac Webmail was originally posted in September.

The new .Mac Webmail provides a similar look and feel to Mac OS X's Mail application, and utilizes the latest web technologies to provide a more seamless experience. .Mac is a pay service provided by Apple. The basic package starts at $99.95 (US) per year for 1GB of .Mac Mail and iDisk storage.

Big JW

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006
close but not there yet

- doesn't work on firefox (1.5) under WinXP

- still can't use an email address other than mac.com email address as "reply to"

At least they have fixed it so that it properly quotes previous emails in replies!

Comment

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Would be interested to see how well this works in IE7. Works nicely in Safari - woot for ajax.

Comment

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
This is really great, just tried it. It is nice and clean, exactly like Mail.app. This will be getting used alot at work on the Windows machine.

Comment

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
The interface is slick, but it is slow as a tortise. Maybe they are still bringing additional servers online, but I hope the speed improves...

[EDIT] Just tried it using Firefox 2.0, and the speed is MUCH faster than on Safari. Interesting...

Comment

Ktulu

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Brownstown, MI
I like it. There's nothing I hate more than having to go through a web mail system that looks like a web mail system.

Both my HDs in my G3 fried on me:mad: and I am forced to use my work laptop to get my e-mail.

Comment

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Big JW said:
Try upgrading to 2.0. I just tested on Firefox 2.0 on OS X and it worked fine.

Comment

rcm3

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2006
Can somebody explain to me why anybody would want to pay $100/year for an email account with only 1 GB of storage?

Comment

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
rcm3 said:
Can somebody explain to me why anybody would want to pay $100/year for an email account with only 1 GB of storage?
Um, you get more than just an email account. You get an iDisk. You can easy iCal/iPhoto publishing, you get syncing of your data with all of your Macs. Lots of non-Apple apps provide easy publishing of your info to your iDisk.

I'd recommend .Mac to anyone who wants to do this kind of stuff. Can you think of a way to do all of the above for < $100/year without being an uber geek who knows all about FTP and WebDAV and POP/SMTP? :D

Comment

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Center of the Nation
Big JW said:

- still can't use an email address other than mac.com email address as "reply to"

At least they have fixed it so that it properly quotes previous emails in replies!

the hell if it doesn't

works fine for me :D

Comment

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Nice about the update, although I don't really use the email for .Mac, lol. The storage space issue others seem to have a problem with isn't really a problem for me....at least not yet.

kainjow said:
I'd recommend .Mac to anyone who wants to do this kind of stuff. Can you think of a way to do all of the above for < $100/year without being an uber geek who knows all about FTP and WebDAV and POP/SMTP? :D

Very true. I said it before and I'll say it again. With .Mac and iLife '06 (especially iWeb) making a simple website to show photos to your family and friends is simple for practically anyone to use. (great now I'm starting to sound like a commercial :p)

Comment

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
kainjow said:
Would be interested to see how well this works in IE7. Works nicely in Safari - woot for ajax.
Safari's javascript engine is magnitudes slower than firefox.

Comment

Plazman

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2003
SF Bay Area
Are you using a pop-up blocker?

indiekiduk said:
Try making a new mail in Firefox 2. You will see a pop up window with a tool bar at the top but otherwise blank.

Are you using a pop-up blocker?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.