.Mac webmail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by crazycat, Apr 23, 2007.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I have a .mac account as many here do and i use the email service. It has changed some months ago to this web 2.0 i think but its slower, it takes 5 secs to open 1 email, 1 min to open and email and begin downloading an attachment and 20 secs to delete it. It there a way to change the setting so that it can run faster like before they did the interface change to it?

2. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

3. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

At this point i am thinking of droping it because it takes so long to do simple things. I can log to my gmail account, check a few emails before my .mac loads. I would end up checking 10 emails on gmail before i can check and exe a command on .mac.

4. NuDarwin macrumors member

NuDarwin

since the new .mac webmail thing uses Ajax technology, yes it will be slower on some systems, particularly ie 6 (not that you'd actually want to use ie 6), so apple lets you use the older html version of .mac mail. I can't remember how to do it, but I don't remember it being all that hard...

5. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

I cant seem to find a way to do it, there is no option in .mac that disables ajax. Does anyone know a work around?

6. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

Using the old web-based mail application

In October 2006, .Mac introduced a new version of .Mac Mail on the web. If you are not using a recommended browser, you can still use the old web-based mail application, which does not include the changes and enhancements of the new release. Recommended browsers for Mac OS X version 10.3 or later are Safari 1.2 or later or Firefox 1.0.1 or later. Recommended browsers for Microsoft Windows XP are Firefox 1.0.1 or later or Internet Explorer 6 or later.

To access the old web-based mail application:
    Go to www.mac.com/WebObjects/Webmail1.woa/wa/EntryAction and log in.

:)

7. thestaton macrumors 6502

I stopped using that crap. It lacked features and user friendliness. I have since changed over to gmail and would never consider anything else.

8. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

I agree, Gmail is much better. The only reason why i still have a .mac is because i have soooo many different websites/news letters that come to my mac and its a pain to change my email.

9. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Dang i remember when the @mac mail was free, thats a while ago gmail forever!!!!

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

At work using .mac is slower than anything. However, I can still use it. At home it's not so bad.
    I would love to move to gmail exclusively but can't seem to find out how really organize e-mails that I receive. Maybe I need to read the gmail help file if there is one.

11. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

.Mac has been useful for me. I send a lot of videos to clients, and I can just upload them to my capacious iDisk. It isn't worth what it's worth, but it's close enough.

12. thestaton macrumors 6502

It took some getting used to for me as well. I was used to having folders to sort things in.

gmail's theory is a little different and after you get used to it, its really awesome.

instead of folders just make labels. when ever you recieve email just hit the drop down menu, and put it on a label. then hit archieve.

I simply love it now.

13. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I use .mac on occasion and I haven't noticed that it is slower. I think it needs an overhaul, mind you, but I haven't noticed it taking long times to accomplish tasks.