.Mac ....What are the benefits?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jayeskreezy, Mar 11, 2008.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I'm considering getting a .mac subscription, but I have yet to see any real reason to get one other than the .mac email which isn't even that serious in my opinion. Are there some advantages that I may not be aware of? Can you let me know why you purchased .mac and/or what you use it for? Does anyone have any websites designed using .mac? All of the ones I've seen have been pretty cheesy or maybe I just don't know of any nice ones. Thanks for the help (in advance).

2. blackbelt macrumors regular

I just got .Mac with my new Mac, mainly because of the iDisk, you can use it to store files and use them across other computers. It also syncs all of your contacts and bookmarks that you can then use online or on another mac.

I would recommend using the trial for a while to see if you use enough of the features. I was a bit "iffy" on getting it too.

3. Mac In School macrumors 65816

When I think of my .Mac account, I barely remember that it comes with an Email address. It's the last feature I care about.

The Web galleries are outstanding.

Syncing my contacts, calendars and documents to a server, so I can retrieve them from any computer, is a great benefit for me. It would be even better if I had a 2nd Mac to sync to.

"Back to my mac" = fantastic.

iChat w/ video works great. Much better than Skype, for me.

Screen sharing is helpful for easing the pain of those I've helped switch.

Even though I'm very happy with Time Machine, remote backup is a must for me. Just for a handful of documents that I'd have a hard time living without, in the event that my house burned down or my gear got stolen.

4. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Does the syncing really work? So, I have a Macbook Pro and a Mac Pro. When I upgrade to Leopard, if I got .Mac, it would keep iCal synced on both computers? what about different logins?

How about on an iPhone?

Thanks!

5. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

I thought screen sharing was a leopard feature. I didn't know it was a .mac feature. Can you clarify?

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

screen sharing only works if both computers are in the same local network. "back to my mac" takes it a step further, where you can access the screen of your mac even if you're not on the home network.

i think that's right. i've actually not tested this out yet.

7. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

well, thats pretty much useless I guess :(