Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Anyone heard about these? I can't find them mentioned on the "new" .Mac site. What the fruit. :mad:

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Link to one alleged explanation:

The widgets, sources inside Apple have told Think Secret, were being developed by an intern primarily on his own time with Apple never really throwing its weight behind the project.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...well, they did say "coming soon" didn't they? Perhaps their "soon" is different than most people's...it is Apple after all - sometimes it feels like their "soon" is in geological timeframes....heheheh.....oh yeah!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The sad thing is that I was one of the people waiting to get .mac for this reason. It is obsurd that they didn't come up with something sooner, or even have it on hand the day tiger came out. My guess, out of all of the wigets developed by various folks around here are way better than what they had. They figured we wouldn't miss their crappy ones if we had all of the nice ones. :)

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
Another question that inevitably comes up is: what exclusive widgets could they make that are in some way connected to .Mac? An iDisk usage display? A counter of your HomePage hits? I'm a little annoyed that they just disappeared, but you have to wonder what they really could have done exclusively that no one else could. Programming a widget isn't too drastically difficult.

roadapple

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2004
I'd like one that continuously updated the my cost per email.

Then maybe one that would remind me when to renew my membership.

That would be convenient.

DerChef

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Northern Ireland
At least its better than providing "Malware"

as i said i hope thier widgets are not like my experience of their bundled software

Virex send my new Powerbook (with Panther) to hell and back with me a new Mac user for only a day !

Seriously .Mac I can honestly say is the in the top ten of the biggest wastes of money in my life.

at renewal time rearrange this "over freezes when hell" :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.