Mac wifi help AAHHHHH******

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dfleenor, May 11, 2009.

1. dfleenor macrumors newbie

ok i have a wireless internet at home a N router. now im on vacation and i can pick up wifi but it is slooowwwwww. at home fast as hell but here slow. what could it be. i stealing it from neighbors. my friends pc is fast but my macbook sucks i pay 1500 dollars more than him and hes surf the web and i cant it pisses me off. HELP!!!

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

What channel are you on?

Mobile devices and microwaves can interfere with the signal, make sure to keep those devices clear, and see if that helps.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

So you're mad at your computer because your illegally using someone else's wifi? Interesting... It's not your home wifi, so you can't compare speeds.

4. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

If someone's ignorant enough to leave their network unsecured I'd say they deserve the very obvious consequences!

5. MacBook.Matt macrumors regular

dude, your stealing it from the neighbors. If its a weak signal already, then your friend could be hogging all the bandwidth thats available. I've been in your situation before, and its just spotty. Not much you can do if its a weak signal to begin with.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

If the neighbor finds out he can go to the authorities and you can be in trouble; you're breaking into his network.

7. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Actually from what I remember from hearing about a case in Florida where someone actually did try to sue a neighbor for leaching their wireless network, the court ruled that because the signal was being broadcast into the neighboring apartment and was not secured the leaching party was doing nothing illegal.
    This was a few years ago and precedences may have changed, but I would think if you don't take the time to secure your network and you broadcast the SSID your are basically inviting others onto your wireless network.

8. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

How exactly is he 'breaking in' He could just argue he thought it was a public network and he is very sorry for the disturbance. If you leave your wifi open you'll get visitors. simple!