Mac WiFi not working

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ADacome24, Aug 16, 2014.

1. ADacome24, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014

ADacome24 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

so recently I've been having a huge problem. My WiFi does not work anymore, it has completely gone kaputt. No WiFi icon in the taskbar, no WiFi option in Settings>Network... I even went as far as to trick my Mac into thinking it had not been setup yet, so when I went thru a new setup and it asks how to connect to the internet, the WiFi option is there but greyed out and the bubble is unclickable.

[​IMG]

I also tried these terminal commands (got it wrong at first) and no Wifi listed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also to note I have just replaced the the Airport card and still no luck.

I have a Late 2008 Macbook A1278 Unibody. Running OS X Yosemite Developer preview (the issue has been consistent throughout OS X 10.8, 9, and on so it is not the OS. I suspect it may be the iSight Camera & Airport WiFi cable? I've run out of options and need help :(

*EDIT* My iSight camera works, so it may/may not be the cable. I can't think of anything it could be.

2. asriznet macrumors regular

Hmmm... I managed to replicate the same results easily just by removing the Wifi interface in System Preference -> Network.

With that, what happens when you click on the + sign on System Preference -> Network? Do you have Wifi or Airport as an option?

Have you tested in OS X Recovery and see if you can get wifi there?
    If you have not done so, perform the 2 troubleshooting steps below.

SMC Reset
    NVRAM Reset

Attached Files:

3. ADacome24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried everything you suggested, still no luck. I'm assuming it is the iSight/Airport cable, and since a new one is only $20 I decided to test my luck and order one. If that doesn't work, what else could it be?

4. asriznet macrumors regular

In OS X Recovery, do you see the wifi icon on top right of the screen? and what do you see in network utility in OS X recovery?

Attached Files:

5. ADacome24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, unfortunately I do not even have a recovery. May be because I am running the dev preview of Yosemite? So there's that. But if I recall correctly, when I was on ML/Mavericks (Yes, I have been dealing with this through multiple OS versions... sadly) there wasn't a WiFi option, but just to be sure, how do I go about restoring the recovery partition so I can check that?

6. asriznet macrumors regular

Unless you did a clean installation, you cannot rule out OS. Yes you have the fault on different version of OS(ML, Mavericks & Yosemite) but if it was upgraded then you have not fully isolated software from hardware as the issue is carried over.

How are you running Yosemite DP? is this on your main drive? did you do a clean installation or it was upgraded from previous OS?

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If there is a recovery partition you would hold CMD R at boot. If there is not a partition you must make a new USB installer of 10.9 or 10.8.

8. ADacome24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do a clean install every time I install a new os. I format my drive and install via bootable USB.