Mac will no longer read my External HD Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marklight, Jul 28, 2008.

1. marklight macrumors 6502

So I have a maxtor external hard drive that I always use with my macbook pro. It's formatted for mac osx (journaled). It's always worked, but I go to plug it in today and leopard wont read it. I go into disk utility and it says it's unmountable but shows it as being formatted for mac. Also when i try to repair the disk it says:

invalid record count
    volume check failed
    Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed

Any suggestions? I really don't want to lose what's on this drive.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Try getting a copy of TechTool Pro. That should have the ability to fix the HFS records or B-tree records that are likely causing this problem.

TEG

3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

The obvious suggestions are:
    - Try the disk on another Mac
    - Reboot your Mac and try the disk again

If neither of the above work, then you have to consider that the drive has some problems. Either the disk has suffered a mechanical or electronic failure, or the filesystem has got corrupted.

Disk recovery services exist to try to recover data from failed drives, but they can be expensive. You might also try one of the utilities like Drive Genius.

Moral: NEVER be in the situation where you have data you care about on only one disk, whether it's internal or external.

4. marklight thread starter macrumors 6502

I installed TechTool Pro, however I can't find any tools to do this- can you elaborate?