Mac will not format HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by juapples, Nov 26, 2014.

1. juapples macrumors newbie

hello, my HDD was acting funky, so i decided to completely format the thing.

when i run disk utility and try to format the drive there, i get a message saying it failed because the disk could not be unmounted. I have also tried formatting the drive using terminal, but i am not sure if i am not getting the right code or if the name of the drive is not being typed correctly...

i have also taken the drive out of the macbook and connected it to my imac as an external drive. it immediately gives me a message saying it is corrupted or whatever, but i cannot format the thing on my imac either. same error message (unable to unmmount drive.)

laslty, i turned to my sisters windows 7 computer, and it too said it was unable to format the drive because it was protected...

is the drive just completely dead, or is it not since the computers still recognize the HDD and disk utility spits out information, but i cannot format/erase/create a portion.

what do i do?!

2. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Burn an Ubuntu Live CD which has a disk diagnostic utility. It simply clearly says: "your disk is about to die". If you get such message, your HDD is dead :D

3. TechpumpkinWD macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    I would test the HDD with the manufacturer's diagnostics tool. Usually this would give the most conclusive results about the health of the drive especially when it comes to the SMART values.
    Good luck!