mac will not shut down. finder application quitting on it's own

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ozzy7388, Aug 1, 2008.

1. ozzy7388 macrumors newbie

i bought this mac about 3 weeks ago. i am very new to mac and my mac savy friend is out of town and i cant get ahold of him.

i was online today + used vlc to show a movie clip to a friend. also used audium. i went to shut my computer down and after 10 minutes i realized my laptop is still on. just the wall paper and the bottom bar where all the application icons are. NO FINDER OR APPLE TAB. my friend told me i can never turn off the finder application.

every time i go to open the finder (because thats the only way i can access the apple tab) and shut down my computer i keep getting error messages about applications not being able to close (all my applications are shut down).

then again, my finder quits on it own.

please help. :(

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Anytime finder crashes, it gives you the ability to relaunch it. You have to right-click on the Finder in the dock (bottom bar). It looks like a blue smiling face.

If you can access the menubar (top bar), then just go click the Apple logo>Force Quit>click Finder and the Relaunch button.

Also, has the Finder been crashing a lot? And yes, you can't really quit Finder. It's like explorer.exe in Windows. It's needed to keep the operating system running.