Mac Will Not Start Up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RaySu, Aug 19, 2009.

1. RaySu macrumors newbie

I have the basic white mac laptop and I've had it for almost a year. When I came home yesterday to use my laptop, some of my keys were not working well. Some of the keys like the 'N' the Delete key, the 'F', the Spacebar weren't working at all. When I clicked them, nothing happened. So I rebooted my computer and again to no avail.

I left my laptop off for the rest of the night and when I woke up this morning, my computer wouldn't even start up. When I clicked the power button, the screen stayed black and it kept making these three beeping noises. The three beeping noises kept repeating itself, and the little light on the bottom right of the keyboard kept flashing in sync with the beeps. It did not continue to the start up screen or the start up mac jingle. I left it beeping for a good 5 minutes and fearful that there may be an explosion, I shut off the computer.

What's wrong? It hasn't even been a year yet! :(

2. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

It's time to take it to the :apple: store. It should be covered under warranty...

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The three beeps indicates that your Mac has a hardware problem preventing it from booting normally. Your Mac, like any other computer, performs a POST (Power On Self Test) on boot, and if that fails for any reason, the computer emits one or more beeps to indicate what is wrong.

If you're comfortable opening up your computer, check the RAM. Sometimes it can come loose from its socket for various reasons, preventing the computer from booting.