Mac will start up but wont boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hello??, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Hello?? macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I have a Macbook pro that i bought at the start of last year and have just started having problems with it not turning on. When i push the power button the start up sound happens and then I hold down alt to choose mac HD but after the little wheel spins and eventually a folder with a question mark pops up. I have been reading through these threads and have tried inserting the Mac OS X install disc and trying to repair disk but everytime i do this it saids error can't unmount hard drive. I have also tried just completely erasing my Mac HD but it also it cant do it because it cant unmount HD.

Some help would be appreciated
    Cheers

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

3. Hello?? thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah just run it then and it said no problems found

----------

Is there anyway that I can unmount the hard drives? I don't see what applications would even be running and have been scrolling through forums for a while now and can't find an answer for it?

4. chown33 macrumors 604

Your hard drive is probably going bad. Or is already bad. This can happen regardless of any SMART status that says its ok.

Another possibility is a bad cable to the hard drive, or a bad connector.

The repair for a bad hard drive is to replace it. Trying to unmount a bad drive in order to reformat it is pointless. If it's not responding properly, it's not going to respond properly to attempts to unmount it.