Mac/Windows 7/Partition

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Rich2Putt, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Rich2Putt macrumors member

Soon to be a new Mac user. I do video editing and been using Corel Pro for the last 8 yrs and not interested in learning a new software (iMovie)

My question is: using boot camp to partition, any suggestion on the amount of space I will need to allocate to Windows 7? With a 1tb HDD I was thinking of 850gb for Mac OS and 150gb for windows.

Also, if I use boot camp I won't need Paralell's software?

Thanks,
    Rich

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

If your video editing is on Windows, you probably want more space there. Depending on how large your videos are..

You use Parallels or Fusion if you want to run Windows within a window in OS X. Saves the time of a reboot, but often slower or less stable.

3. ashotjp macrumors newbie

I Use Paralles 7 and it is awesome, just open any Windows program in its window as it belongs to mac... really nice program

But you better learn Final Cut Pro, life will be much better than Corel Pro

4. BillG53 macrumors member

Do you need to buy a full version of Windows OS to load in the Windows partition or can you get by with an upgrade version? That is something I have wondered about. I have been told by a tech rep at Apple that I would need to run firewalls and virus checkers in a Windows partition.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You need a full version of Windows. As far as firewalls, your router should have one built in, but it wouldn't hurt to run a software firewall, as well. Also for Windows it would be wise to run antivirus software. You don't have to worry about Windows malware affecting your Mac OS X partition, but it could certainly affect your Windows installation.

6. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

There are ways to get Upgrade versions to run.. but they're not necessarily supported, or recommended.

You can usually get an "OEM" full version from someplace like NewEgg for about the same price as an upgrade version. As long as you have no intention of calling Microsoft for tech support, it works just fine.

7. Rich2Putt thread starter macrumors member

It is my understanding that not all Window software works in Parells 7 including Corel software. I'll most probably partion the HDD in Bootcamp to keep files separate.

From what I've read, Final Cut Pro is an excellent video editor. The learning curve will take me months to be somewhat comfortable with FCP. I've been using Coral Video for several yrs and it does everything I need in video editing. Coming from a PC user for the last 20yrs, the Mac will be plenty of new stuff to learn for a 63 yr old guy. :)

One final question, will Time Capsule also back-up Window 7 files along with Mac without changing formats?

Thanks,
    Rich

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This may be of use: Helpful Information for Any Mac User
    iMac Fast Start: The new user's guide to iMac
    No, Time Machine doesn't back up your Windows partition.