Mac/Windows compatibility

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by xglennx, Aug 17, 2010.

1. xglennx macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I just got the new iPhone. I'm still using Tiger 10.4.11 on my MacBook Pro.
    I plugged my new phone in to the computer and it said that the phone isn't compatible with my version of OSX. I didn't think this would be a problem since my iPhone 3G works just fine with it.

I know I can buy a new version of OSX, but after spending £450 on the phone, I'm not really in a position to afford the £132 it's going to cost me to upgrade (Apple website says I need to go for the Mac Box Set, and not just Snow Leopard) at the moment.

This isn't my main question, but if I was to ask someone who already has the Mac Box Set for a copy of the disk, would it install on my Mac, or do I have to buy it myself? Sorry if that's a silly question.

My main question is; if I was to set up my new phone on the PC I have here, I wouldn't be able to then plug it back into my Mac, would I? All my music and contact info etc is stored on my Mac so it'll be a major hassle to have to start all over again on the PC.

And also, say if I did start using this on the PC, when I do eventually get Snow Leopard, do I have to start all over again if I want to go back to using the phone with my Mac?

I'm sorry if any(all) of that is unclear. I'm a bit clueless when it comes to things like this.
    Thanks very much if anyone can help me.

2. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I believe you can buy the $30 upgrade disk and just use migration assistant after formatting+installing.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You wont be able to use someone elses OSX install disk since the licence ID has already been tied up to his machine I believe.
    You can set it up on your PC but still the Tiger OS wont recognize the new iphone 4 and wont let you sync or do anything with it.
    If you use it on a PC you can always transfer your music and everything else back on the mac thru a USB drive and start using the mac instead.
    Just get snow leopard, its not that much. Between $20-50 thru ebay.

4. xglennx thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh really? Will my other applications (iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, Photobooth and such) still work, or will that get rid of them completely? It's not really that much of an issue if it does, I hardly ever use them.

Thanks very much for the quick replies guys.

5. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I don’t have any experience upgrading, but if you walk into an apple store and ask one of the 50 employes per square foot, they will clear it all up for you. I have heard that they don’t usually make you buy the upgrade disk as they don’t work on commission.

6. xglennx thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm two hours away from the nearest Apple store so I can't do that right away, but thanks a lot for your help.

One last thing, if I was to set this up using a PC now, when it comes time for me to start using it with my Mac again, do I just reset the whole thing first (by holding down both buttons or however it's done), or do I just plug it in to my Mac and go from there?

7. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

My iTunes experience is limited to an iPod touch, sorry.

8. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

Could you install Windows via Bootcamp or even a Virtual Machine to set up the iPhone?

9. xglennx thread starter macrumors newbie

No problem mate. Thanks for your help.

Can anybody else answer my question above?
    I've never done that (I'm not even sure if I can install bootcamp on this machine), but wouldn't that just be the same as if I set up the phone on the other PC in my house?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You won't need to reset or restore the iPhone. You just plug it to the Mac and sync with that library instead. Simple.

11. parker455 macrumors newbie

parker455

I'd go with a snow leopard upgrade disk mate, it's more efficient and will save you hassle in the long frontier. Then sell it if your tight on cash, easy way to do it.