Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

:: ultranol ::

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
Hello everybody.

I have a MacBook for a year or so and I've always been able to read/write files on my PC using file sharing with no problems whatsoever. Since my PC is always on, I wrote a Mac script that mounts a network folder automatically every time I turn my laptop on. My goal was to have my PC always available on my "Shared" section of Finder, without me having to use the "Connect to Server" function. :cool:

However, some months ago I changed my PC and wireless router, and the behaviour of this file sharing changed. Now, if I just mount a network folder and forget about it, after a while, maybe hours, the PC seems to be unresponsive - I click on the PC under Finder's "Shared", it keeps showing "connecting" but nothing else happens. The internet on the MacBook still works, the PC was not turned off or disconnected, nothing different or obvious happened.

The worst thing is, I cannot do anything: if I try to disconnect the PC from the "Shared" (clicking on the little "Eject" button) it hangs for a while and says "the resource is busy, try again later" (or something like that). If I try to reboot the MacBook, it also hangs indefinitely with the desktop background and the "processing" icon, and then I have to manually shutdown pressing and holding the power button.

Now I had to not only take down my script, but to resign myself to connect, use and disconnect everytime I want something from my PC. And then sometimes I forget to disconnect and have to reboot the laptop to access my PC again.
facepalm.gif

I tried messing around with the wireless network security, changing from no security at all to WEP and then WPA, all to no avail. All my devices have manual IPs defined, ruling out DHCP quirks. Although I changed my PC, the operating system is the same from when there were no problems - Windows Vista. The only thing I can see affecting the situation is the change of wireless router - I used a D-Link before and now I use a Linksys.

Did anybody went through anything like this?

Thank you all for helping.

steve1001

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
I've been dealing with the exact same issue for months and have also tinkered with my set up endlessly with no results. Pretty frustrating. Trying to research the problem landed me here. Good to know I'm not the only one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.