Mac-Windows printing not working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sushi064, Jan 17, 2012.

1. sushi064 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an HP DeskJet F4180 printer that is connected to the network via Win Vista Home Premium X64. I also have a late 2011 MacBook Pro with OSX Lion that connects to the PC over my Wi-Fi network. I've updated the drivers for my printer on my Mac using Software Update, but it still doesn't work properly. My question: I can send jobs to the printer fine, but when they arrive at Windows, they show as having "N/A" or "0" pages, and the printer ends up hanging without printing any pages or even taking in any paper. What can I do?

Thanks guys!

2. belvdr macrumors 603

I got so fed up with this nonsense too. I never got it to work reliably.

I ended up purchasing a new printer with wired/wireless built-in. Another option, if your printer supports USB, is to use and AEBS for a host, but that may cost more than a new printer.

3. sushi064 thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it... but did you ever have problems with no pages printing??? That's all that's stopping me from printing right now. Maybe it has to do with the print processor I'm using???

4. belvdr macrumors 603

I had issues from nothing printed to garbage printing. It was just too much hassle and not worth the time for me.

5. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It has been a few years, but I think I loaded bonjour for windows, and I was able to share using that. Later, I reversed the process, put the printer on my Mac and used bonjour for windows to allow my pc to see it.

Unless you have the free time to troubleshoot this, I agree it may be worth it to pickup a wireless printer , bonus if you have an iOS/android device to use with a compatible AirPrint/googleprint printer.

(Sorry I don't know the name of androids version of AirPrint on the top of my head.)