Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Right now i have a hp laser printer connected to a windows pc. I want to be able to use this printer all the time, even without the printer on. What is the cheapest solution to do this? A wireless print server? My brother works at bestbuy so i can get a nice discount. Is htere any other solution?

LifeIsCheap

macrumors regular
May 3, 2004
Sydney, Oz.
Airport Express should do it

jer446 said:
Right now i have a hp laser printer connected to a windows pc. I want to be able to use this printer all the time, even without the printer on. What is the cheapest solution to do this? A wireless print server? My brother works at bestbuy so i can get a nice discount. Is htere any other solution?
Try an Airport Express. I've got one as part of my Netgear powered wireless netwrok. The AE is hooked into my hifi to play airtunes, you can also stream audio from VLC with a few configuration settings and most appropriately you can plug a USB printer straight into it.

I just got myself a Canon Pixma iP8500 (I think that's it's model num) inkjet printer. Plugged it into the AE and it worked straight away. The only thing the printer setup wouldn't let me do is align the heads remotely. I had to plug the printer straight into the iBook to do that.

Is the HP USB? If so, then probably worth giving the AE a go. It should work on its own nicely.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
jer446 said:

airport express isn't the cheapest solution. when i worked at best buy i got at cost + 10% discount.

i would suggest a dlink or linksys. in my expierence ppl either love netgear or plain hate it.

http://www.linksys.com/products/group.asp?grid=33&scid=37
http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=10&sec=0

both support appletwalk which is the easiest way to setup macs for network printing.

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
nice i guess they changed it, now its 5% over bestbuys cost.

dpeachey83

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2005
Launceston, TAS - Australia
superbovine said:
airport express isn't the cheapest solution. when i worked at best buy i got at cost + 10% discount.

Just remember, cheapest isn't always the easiest or best - I've got an Airport Express, and yes, it was a bit pricey, but it was so damn easy to set up, and I haven't had any troubles what-so-ever with it. You never know; you may also use it for it's stereo connection capabilities or as a wireless network (or extension of)...

I've started to use the other features supported with it (have my wireless network, printer, stereo and ADSL modem hooked up to it) - thus it has paid for itself, all with very easy setup and no troubles...

amartins02

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2005
Why not just get a printer with a network port? I have a Brother 420cn and it does scan/fax/copy/print all over the network. Also on Brothers website it comes with a widget whcih tells you how low your ink is, just an added feature i guess. Plus it was 99.00 dollars. Cheaper if you find one with a rebate. Try Staples for that, they are good.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
I've tried doing this myself. I have a D-Link router. I tried to get my PC to wirelessly print to the print through my eMac, which is connected to the printer. I went as far as to install Rendevous on the PC and it still wasn't able to find the Mac.

God I hate D-Link.

Waiea

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2005
Mixed Family can be tricky!

You say you want to use the printer all the time, even when the printer is not on. I'm assuming you mean you want to print from a wirelessly connected mac (given the forum) even when the PC is not on. I don't know of any printer that will print when it is not first turned on.

I can't address your query for a cheaper/better solution than the Airport Express. BUT, I do have experience using AE in a mixed environment. I have a laser printer (formerly) connected directly to my PC, and I have a Powerbook, connected to wireless network via a Linksys wireless router. I purchased an AE, and had no trouble setting it up to feed my stereo from either computer via iTunes.

Printing was another story!! I plugged the printer into the USB port on the AE. After lots of fiddling and tweaking, I finally got it to print from the Powerbook but nothing I tried would get the PC to communicate with it. The recent issue of Macworld had an article about getting a PC to print via Airport. Well that wasn't very simple, but using a combination of 'tricks' discussed in the article finally rendered success! Now my laser printer is connected to the AE full time and when I hit 'print' on either the wireless Powerbook or the PC, the printer fires up and prints!! WAY too much enery required in getting this mixed family to play nice, but eventual success.

- Kui

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.