Mac with applications - do apps xfer to new owner?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tumbleweed666, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I am selling my old iMac. It contains iLife & iWork which I paid for.

What happens when the new owner takes the mac and puts their app store login in, does this invalidate the existing software?

I dont need the licenses for those apps on that machine, because i have a new iMac so i will get the apps anyway when i download Mavericks.

TIA

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

If its a recent Mac where the apps are registered to your App Store account (Apple ID) then they will still work for the new user, but they will not be able to update (they will see that an update is available but will be asked for your accounts password) them or reinstall them as they are tied to your account.

3. Tumbleweed666 thread starter macrumors 68000

Its a 4 year old Mac so not sure, it did offer upgrades to the new versions which implies it does knwo about them being associated with me (which I accepted for all but Keynote) but then again I have another Mac as well, so not sure, we'll see what happens.

4. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Then it should have come with disks, one of which would contain the iLife apps.
    The person buying the Mac could then use those disks to install the original version of iLife. Depending on the version on the disk they may be able to upgrade to the newer versions from the App Store on their account. Though I think with a 4 year old Mac this won't be the case as it won't be iLife 11.

iWork isn't bundled with Macs (until now) so it depends on whether you bought that as a boxed copy (on disk) in which case if you give the person buying the Mac the disk it will work the same as iLife, or whether you bought it from the App Store in which case it is tied to your account.

5. Tumbleweed666 thread starter macrumors 68000

I literally just found my original iWork disk :D

Before I found it (or even realised I still had it, your post made me look again), I copied across the iWork apps from a TM backup onto a fresh install of Mavericks, and then App store upgraded them to the latest version but I was logged on as me.

So if the new owner logs in using his app store user, he may or may not be OK, and may or may not be able to reinstall again under his ID. I'll see what happens and will report back, its a relative so its all friendly and its really a bonus if he gets iWork anyway he's not expecting it.