Mac with bootcamp running llinux and windows xp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rigelisonfire, Feb 4, 2009.

1. rigelisonfire macrumors newbie

rigelisonfire

I bought a new mac back in October thinking it was the ****... I was right. Best thing I ever did. The thing is now I am in school for CSIT and need to be able to use xp and linux on a regular basis. I am kind of a new user and need some real help with this one. I don't know how much space I should dedicate to windows and linux swaps. I have the last generation mac with 2.4GHz intel duo core, 2 gigs of ram, 160 hard drive. It is the second model up in the last line up. Can anyone give me some help. I plan on reformating then going from the ground up.

2. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

If you go through the bootcamp procedure and install windows, you should then be able to use disk utility to make a third partition with room to install linux.

3. rigelisonfire thread starter macrumors newbie

rigelisonfire

do you think i could do that from a external hard drive? It would be nice as I only have a 160 Gb. I am from Canada so I went to future shop and talked with their apple person and she told me to run for my personal computer that I should run Mac OSX Server as my native operating system. Which I could easily torrent and make work but do i really need that? I am going into networking. 160 Gb just don't cut it any more. I really wish i could upgrade this. Don't want to have to back to that dreaded PC...

4. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

it sounds like for your needs a macbook wont cut it. a macbook pro or mac pro is more suited for what you need

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The computer you have is absolutely fine for that you need, hey ive had 7 Operating Systems on a Mac Mini!

Do what the last poster said "If you go through the bootcamp procedure and install windows, you should then be able to use disk utility to make a third partition with room to install linux."

Yes you can do it from an external drive, no problem :)

Good Luck!

6. rigelisonfire thread starter macrumors newbie

rigelisonfire

I think that is what I am going to do for windows so that it runs in a native form. As for the linux i am probally going to run a vitural PC.