Mac Woes - HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sixx23, Jun 29, 2009.

1. sixx23 macrumors newbie

Today, upon starting our mac, we got a flashing folder with a question mark.
    I had researched on what to do. We tried the Disk Utility by using the install disc, and that failed due to some HFS error... I am at the last step. I have tried Disk Utility, Repairing PRAM, and booting into safe mode for the disk utility, but none have worked. The last thing to do is for us to get Disk Warrior, but I am wondering if there are any possible ways to get our files, music, and pictures off of this possibly failing hard drive?

Thanks..

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Please tell me you had Time Machine backup.

What kind of Mac?
    Original HD?
    OS version?

3. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

Been down this road, I now have a back up drive, and with time machine, after the drive has been replaced, it really easy to recover all the lost info, like the drive never failed. I found this utility useful "file salvage" it cost about $70. I once delete 200GB and this helped get it all back, also from a failing drive another time.

4. sixx23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unforunately, No.
    We are running Tiger, which does not have Time Machine:(

Original HD.Mac OS X 10.4

5. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

Been down this road, I now have a back up drive, and with time machine, after the drive has been replaced, it really easy to recover all the lost info, like the drive never failed. I found this utility useful "file salvage" it cost about $70. I once delete 200GB and this helped get it all back, also from a failing drive another time.

be warned file salvage can take a while and you need another drive for it to recover the files too.

6. sixx23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, but im fairly sure I do not have Time Machine.

Also, if by some miracle we can get this running, we will be running out and buying an external HD..

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Not that this helps you, but the one thing that has sved my bacon and made it worthwhile for me to upgrade to Leopard was time machine.

I agree with munkees (both times). Try a third party disk recovery system. If that fails, order a replacement drive (check with OWC). POp it in and reinstall system software. The original drive can be sent for professional recovery (for a price) if the data is that important.

Get a good external drive and clone/backup....frequently. I suggest CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

8. sixx23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, the sad thing is we were discussing about upgrading to Leopard a few weeks before all this happened. :mad:

9. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

Grab an Ubuntu live disk, install Autopsy with Synaptic, and use an external harddrive to pull your stuff off.

10. sixx23 thread starter macrumors newbie

All is okay now. The hard drive is still messed up, but we went out and bought Disk Warrior, and a 500gb External Hard Drive, and is currently backing up our data now.

Thanks guys.