Mac won't boot after latest OSX update

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kidtroopa, Nov 14, 2010.

1. kidtroopa macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook pro....with PGP whole disk encryption...and Snow Leopard......and ran the latest OSX 10.6.5 update. During the reboot....the mac would just hang at the gray screen indefinitely. I rebooted using the "cmd + S" key sequence....and saw that the error where it was hanging stated "Still waiting for root device".

Attempting to repair the hard drive using Disk utility off of the install CD failed, as well as attempts to rebuild the drive using Disk Warrior 4.2. I even went to a local Apple Store....and the techs there didn't have a solution other than doing a re-install of OSX.

At this point I was ready to cut my losses and erase the drive and do a fresh install. I'M GLAD I DIDN'T. I don't know why I didn't do this first......but I went to PGP's website to download their recovery CD to try it.....and found an article that stated there was a known issue with PGP WDE and the latest 10.6.5 update. I followed the recovery procedures laid out here:

https://pgp.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2288/session/L3NpZC9qUGtOMzJmaw==/sno/0

and was able to boot up just fine. I hope this helps others out who are having a similar issue.

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

I got a flashing ? when the my machine rebooted after the update. I did a hard kill with the power button and booted again...been fine ever since. First time an OS X update has ever done that to me though. :eek:

3. dimplebongo macrumors newbie

Pgp wont boot

Hi I have the same problem?? I downloaded the PGP recovery .cdr file and can't seem to get the macbook to see it?? I hold down cmd key and Macintosh HD comes up but not the recovery CD?? Any ideas??
    Thanks Grant

4. kidtroopa, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

kidtroopa thread starter macrumors newbie

The .cdr extension is Apple's disk image equivalent of an ISO file. You have to use Apple's Disk Utility to burn that cdr file to a CD. If you have another Mac or know of someone else who does.....ask them to burn it for you. Otherwise....to do it yourself......you will need a thumbdriven or external hard drive with the cdr file on it.......and an external USB CD/DVD burner. (At least this is what I did in my case).

1. Boot your Mac using your OSX install CD.
    2. Once booted....Do not hit Continue for a fresh install....choose the UTILITIES drop down menu up top...scroll down and choose Disk Utility.
    3. Once in Disk Utility.....connect the thumb drive or external drive.....now click on the BURN icon.
    4. Browse to the cdr file on your thumbdrive or external drive and click on the file. It should then prompt you to insert a blank CD in the external CD/DVD burner drive.
    5. Once the CD has been burned.....remove the OSX install CD and boot off of the newly created PGP Recovery CD...which will allow you to bootup properly...and continue on with their instructions.

I hope that made sense. I'm not aware of any other program other than Apple's Disk utility that can burn .cdr images. I needed the external CD/DVD burner because Disk Utility wouldn't allow me to eject the OSX CD and replace it with a blank CD since it booted off of it.

[​IMG]

5. dimplebongo macrumors newbie

Hi Thanks. I have managed to burn the CD with the .cdr file and put it into the the MACBOOK but when I switch on and hold down the option key all I can get is the Macintosh HD icon not the CD? I can here the CD swithcing on and spinning but nothing shows on the screen? I think I need to see the CD image and then click on it to activate the PGP login screen? Tried pressing the c key but this didn't work either? What do you think? Thanks

6. kidtroopa thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry.....I have no clue why it won't show up as a selectable item to boot from. When I booted up with the option key pressed......the macintosh hd appeared first........then about 10 - 15 seconds later....I saw the PGP CD appear with a title of EFI Fix or just EFI...can't remember exactly.

The only thing I can recommend is downloading the CDR file again from PGP and burning another copy....just in case there's something wrong with the initial file. If problem persists.......might want to contact PGP for assistance. Sorry I couldn't be of further assistance.